THE TWIST.

I had the big picture of becoming a Doctor, regardless of what anyone said around me, I kept that in mind. My phase in Secondary School was gradually coming to an end and everyone was preparing towards external examinations, perhaps the exam that would determine our future.
My dream sounded unrealistic to me but I wanted to bring it to fulfillment, no matter the cost. My Father enrolled me for a pre-degree program in the University of Lagos (UNILAG) where I was to study Pharmacy. It wasn't a good idea to me, I felt I had better things in mind than to waste a year of my life. Besides, I wasn't sure if I would do well in Pharmacy of all courses. Eventually, I obtained a JAMB form against my father's will in which I chose medicine as my preferred course of study and opted for a private university simply because I had watched a movie produced by the drama unit of the school.
I was writing WASSCE when my Jamb result was released. I got 191 out of 400 marks. For someone who wanted to read medicine, that was a dream being shattered.
My JAMB score caused a lot of trauma to me, I thought at some point I'll probably have a hole in my heart. My dad didn't want me to write JAMB that year because He felt I wasn't sound academically. All my friends were doing it, why did I have to be an exception? I rejected his offer which left him with no other option than to get the form and here I was telling him he was right after all, I wasn't supposed to write Jamb.
My father went mute for days concerning that issue and as a typical Nigerian child that I am, I knew that was trouble! Few days later, he called me saying he was going to pay for my form
into the University. My joy knew no bounds, I felt like an undergraduate already even without taking the Post-UTME.
At this point, I had to admit that my strength wasn't for Sciences. It was a funny plight for me; was I going to go back and start Commercial again or probably Arts? I couldn't phantom this fact and this caused me sleepless nights for two weeks.
I was crying in my Mum's shop on a fateful day when someone walked up to me and asked what the matter was. I opened up to her and told her my situation. She sat me down and explained how crying wasn't the solution, rather I had to look at that big picture in mind maybe I couldn't attain it but I had to attain something similar. On getting home that night, my father brought up the idea of studying Agricultural Economics and that was how I opted for it in my Post-UTME.
My WAEC result came out soon after my graduation ceremony from Secondary school. I narrowly passed my subjects and I was very happy that a miracle had happened, at least to me. My Father spared me with emphasis that I had to finish in the University with a first class.