Chapter 10

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you show up for my demise."

At that, he smirked, but it was only there for a split second. "Hey, I smell a potential death, I stop what I'm doing to come watch."

I struggled to get to my feet and when I did, I felt like I would fall over at any given moment. I could barely feel my legs. They were so cold. Everything in the room was so cold. Probably because I was still naked. All was cold except Nathan, surprisingly. I felt the only source of warmth coming from him. "You do realize that you could die as well?"

He scoffed. "I'd only die if I had anything to do with your death. In this case, I wouldn't fall with you."

I looked directly into his cold grey eyes. I wasn't intimidated, but I could see why others would be. I whispered in an innocent tone. "But you're the reason I'm like this." I smiled at his frown.

Seconds passed and still he said nothing. He finally exhaled through his nose and lifted a hand and began rubbing his stubble. "Then don't."

I stood as straight as I could not really worried about my nudity and began taking small steps forward. "What was that?" I said, wanting to irk him by making him say it once more.

But it didn't seem to bother him. My approaching, however, seemed to unsettle and confuse him. "Don't die." He said louder.

I was at least six feet away when he finally pushed himself off the closet door and stood up straight. His arms were still crossed, but his posture told me he was not relaxed. For a while, I was thinking that it was my presence. However, the more I thought about it, the more it made less sense. I was practically handicapped right now. Why was he worried about me attacking him? There was no way I'd be able to take him out right now.

Unless he was injured as well.

I tried to divert his attention because he seemed aware of me inspecting him, putting him more on edge. "I'll try not to, but I make no promises."

I turned my back on him, deciding not to get any closer than I already had gotten. My wolf had been howling in my mind the entire time, warning me about not getting too close. Something about him set her off as well.

I felt like I would collapse soon if I didn't rest. I made my way over to my bed and sat again. When I looked over at Nathan I was alarmed to see him less than five feet away, his eyes glowing reflecting his wolf. Anyone would of thought that the sight of his mate in bed was bringing his wolf out, but I knew better. Because this man held no lust for me. His eyes were admittedly frightening me, however. There seemed to be no trace of his human self in them at all. Like he was all wolf. And he looked desperate.

I tried distracting him. "I know why you're here now."

That seemed to snap him back. He responded, but his eyes were still all wolf. Crimson and silver. "Do you?"

"You're here to keep me from dying." I smiled, taunting him.

He shrugged. "That's part of the reason, yes."

I frowned. "And the other?"

We simply stared at each other, wondering who would look away first.

He finally approached. He stood right in front of me, his legs almost touching my knees. "You should sleep."

I looked up to see his face. The moonlight being behind him cast a shadow on his face, but his eyes were still visible. "You think I'm gonna sleep with you around?"

He shrugged and did something completely unexpected. He grabbed me by my shoulders and literally dragged me across the bed until my head was on the pillows and I was stretched out. He turned his back on me without a word. I propped myself up on my elbows and looked to see him dragging a chair across the room and to my bedside. After a couple of seconds he sat himself down on the stool and began staring at me. He had an expectant look in his eyes.