Chapter 14

Jungkook is fidgeting. He knows Jimin hates it when he fidgets, but he can't help himself. It's too quiet, and he can't take the tension mounting between Jimin and him. The low hum of the refrigerator seems impossibly loud, and the air feels stuffy and still. If he listens closely enough, Jungkook swears he can hear his heart pounding.

It's 6:12 and Taehyung is late. Jungkook had arrived just before six, bearing a bag of take-out as an offering. Jimin didn't smile when he arrived, just opened the door wider and stepped out of the way for Jungkook to enter.

Now they're seated at the table, containers of take-out growing cold in front of them. Jimin hasn't said much, just murmured replies as Jungkook pulled out chopsticks and dug around the fridge for drinks. It's the most agonizing few minutes he's ever experienced. He's never known Jimin to be quiet, even in the most awkward of scenarios. The silence now is brutal, terrifying.

Taehyung bursts through the door, all apologies and sighs. "I'm sorry I'm late, my professor held us back a few minutes to talk--"

"--sit," Jimin says. His face is impossible to read--no glint in his eye, no hint of a smile, nothing. Jungkook can't remember the last time he's seen him look so stoic.

Taehyung frowns, sliding into the chair beside Jimin, dropping his bag on the floor. He doesn't hesitate, just sits right next to him, and Jungkook feels a leap of hope in his heart. Maybe they're okay. "So you brought food, great," Taehyung says, smiling.

He reaches for a carton, but Jimin swats his hand. "Let's talk first."

Pulling his hand back, Taehyung nods and clears his throat. "Okay, let's talk."

Jimin clears his throat and repositions himself in the chair, drawing one knee up to his chest. "So, about the other night..."

Jungkook can feel his cheeks growing hotter. He had tried to erase the image of that night together, tried not to think about Jimin's glossy lips wrapped around his cock, Taehyung's steamy breath against his sensitive rim, but he couldn't. He's not sure he wants to forget it. But he does want to forget this tension, wants to move past it entirely. Whatever he's building with Namjoon is what he wants most of all. He never intended to hurt Taehyung and Jimin.  "Look," Jungkook finally says, leaning forward.

"Wait, Kookie, please," Jimin says. His voice cracks a bit. "I feel horribly about how things went. We were supposed to teach you, and it got out of hand."

Taehyung's face is like stone--unflinching, void of any reaction. His eyes are glued to Jimin, his jaw clenched in concentration. Jungkook wonders if he maybe he's just as surprised about this meeting, too.

"And Tae, darling," Jimin says, his voice finally collapsing into something soft and desperate, "I never meant for it to go that far. I wanted to teach Kookie because he's my best friend, and I thought he'd feel safe with me, with you . You're so good to me, so gentle and tender, and I wanted him to learn from someone like you." His voice catches, finally, and his eyes well with tears. "And if you thought that night changed anything about the way I feel for you," he pauses, swallowing a sob building in his chest, "then, I'm so sorry." He reaches for Taehyung's hand, clasping it in both of his. "I'm so sorry."