Biter

The best way to start this story is I love animals, I have worked with them and been around them for as long as I can remember. I have worked mostly with horses (beautiful creatures that they are) but today we are here to talk about something much, much smaller. Let's think more Syrian Hamster. She is known as Bear and I will be sure to include a photo/photos for you all.

****

(let's turn back the clocks eight months or so)

I am on the phone talking with a family member close to me and they are talking about how much they want a hamster. Now I cannot deny that hamsters are adorable but at this very moment in time we are speaking of I live with my little brother and he would never give a hamster a seconds peace. He's just way too inquisitive. So she is going on and at that time I'm like "oh I wish I could have a pet, lucky witch has already moved out" (also on another line if I didn't have the words of wisdom of my partner I would have twenty animals but since I only have the one time to get her to cave on two rats or a rabbit....just one more RIGHT? She really wants a rabbit sooo fingers crossed). But back to the story so I'm listening away subtly cursing her because I can't have my own little fluffy or scaley pet but in my head, I totally move out soon and I'm like not long, not long. ( i will say that no one should ever rush into getting a pet DO YA RESEARCH!!! I'm just lucky I was raised around all different animals.)

(so we skip forward a few months)

It's a Friday and do I love Fridays...not. This is the day we were forced to do housework and clean our rooms and even at the ripe old age of nineteen I still liked to protest how much I hate doing housework (I still hate it but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet....but don't actually go biting bullets kids that can't be good for you.) So, I'm casually grumbling about cleaning and I live in a farmhouse so any furniture you move can result in a big eight leggid terror coming sprinting at you (i will never love them don't try me). So imagine the scene grumble, grumble, scream (insert crawling terror)....then...then....piding (insert facebook messenger sound here). So I scurry over to my phone with my brain being like any excuse is a good excuse right now...the spider is still in the corner laughing its socks off that I screamed and the people I live with are at the door thinking a murder is going down. In amidst all of this here I am cruising the really close family member again because the photo they had sent was of a little pet shop box and as they had told me inside was hidden a little Syrian hamster. I was extremely happy for her she had wanted a hamster for longer than both of us care to admit and for her to finally get one she sounded so happy and well I was happy she was happy.

(so another month or so passes)

A month or so later I have finally moved out into my own space and was still craving my own little hamster friend (cause who doesn't want a cute little runner that keeps you up at night craving attention) but other things were stopping me from getting a little one.

Not long after this, a night came around that I was sitting playing games chatting with my sister. Talking about her little cutie her hamster is. We spoke for a while about how cute he is and how much I would really like one. We talked about how things had settled down a little more for me and now I would have space and time for a little one and he/she could live somewhere peaceful where she wouldn't get pestered all the time.

The only other person I had to check in with is my partner. She is my other half so I wanted to make sure that a little hamster would be an animal she is okay with keeping. She had no problem and said that this pet would be less maintenance than other pets I would like to keep in the future.

(so the next day)

Today I am going into the pet shop to get an idea of what I would need to get a little Syrian hamster. I swear I'm only in to have a look but...look at that little brown one with the huge ears. I'm sure it wouldn't do any harm to ask about its age and gender,

So one of the store employees comes over opens the cadge and attempt to pick the little brown hamster up and there it is flopping down the cadge on its side protesting that it will bite you if you get all to close to it and at that moment I knew this little one should come home with me. The person that was helping me figure out the hamster's gender and age explained that the little one was a female around twelve weeks and she was a little timid but she would turn around soon enough. when I had explained to the employe that I really liked her but I wouldn't be getting my cadge til Saturday. They then explained that she would probably not be in the shop on Saturday because hamsters go very fast but they did reassure me that they would be getting more in but by this time I had already chosen her and didn't want another hamster (apart from nowadays... I would have another then they are such great pets) but I didn't have the money for her at that time and no cadge meant nowhere to keep her. So I phoned the only person I could think to and vent to them.

As I said goodbye to the little one that I wanted to take home my sister picked up the phone. I told her how I was super upset that I had seen this little female with an attitude and I really wanted to take her home but I couldn't and I wanted to cry because of it. I felt like i had already fallen in love with and connected with her. Sometimes when you go to get an animal you just now and it was like that for me and this little one.

After a short chat with my sister and her partner they very lovely decided that they would help me get the little one and come with me to pick her up so to make sure I got everything. So I rushed down to my sisters and her partners and thanked them a thousand times for doing this for me and then we went off into the town I live in with a little temporary cadge that my sister had given me. We went and got her food first as my sister gets it from a different shop. While there she picked up a few things for their hamster.

After this, we walked down to pets at home. I pointed out the little one that was soon to be called Bear. We all waited a while until someone was able to help us purchase her. In this time my we all spoke about how cute all of the animals were. Soon enough someone came to help us check out Bear and that was where the idea for her name first came up to start with i wanted to call her Puddin' because I thought she looked like a little chocolate pudding but she does look a lot more like a bear.

We checked her out of the store and me and my sister went back to mine to quickly set up the hamster cadge before she had to rush off to do things she had planned that night. I let my sister quickly show me how the cadge goes together. Then we put Bear in her temporary cadge and my sister went on her way and to this day I am still greatly thankful that they both helped me get Bear.