West Highland Way Part One

Before

Could you imagine an ambition you never thought you would make. Something so far out of reach at that moment in time. The west highland way was this for me. I enjoyed walking not eight days of it straight but I enjoyed walking. I really enjoyed casual walking, easy walking, I didn't think I would enjoy the west highland way.

There was this little trail round the road from me, it led down a little burn that was surrounded by trees. It was magnificent. I used to frequent there as often as possible. It was like my own little slice of heaven. Even in summer when all the flies came out to chase you down the path. The little path used to start just under an old stone bridge, you would drive over it and to your left would be the little metal gate with the longer handle for horse riders. I would have loved to have ridden that trail but that would never happen for me. 

As soon as you walked through the gate the path would split of left and right. If you choose the right it would lead steeply uphill. It was surrounded by trees with the occasional ray of light beaming down to remind you that the sun was just behind the trees and if you looked up you could see every pattern on every leaf. It was wondrous. Taking in the scenery you wouldn't even know you were walking up hill. When you reached the top you would get the most breath-taking view of the town I lived in. 

The town isn't very big. There were rows of houses as in any town but what would take your breath away was the hills, trees and fields surrounding the town. The fields were vast and never and spread out in every direction. To the north it looked as though the fields only stopped at the hills. That I would one day in future climb for now I never knew this but I admired them as they were beautiful and old. Growing in beauty with age.

As beautiful as this trail was I preferred the one that went off to the left, I would chose this trail over any other in my area any day. Turning to the left, I walked down a small hill taking in the smell of the countryside. The path would lead off through different shades of green. I walked on a little dirt path I was lovely. There was a bench just down the path a bit if you wanted to rest I had never stopped here. I never felt the need to rest on this trail I just wanted to keep observing the sighs. 

I loved to walk here in winter when the leaves had all fallen and the only shade of green to be seen was the prickly evergreens with their harsh exterior. They battled off the cold reminding winter that not all trees will lose their leaves to the cold. That some of them wouldn't freeze but keep their warmth. They looked so beautiful to me in winter standing as a beacon of hope that winter would end and spring would come. The little bridges along the path would be covered in frost. Everything would be crisp and have a white layer except the burn which would stop for no one. The stream was ever changing, you just know you have never seen the same one twice.

This was my spot before everything that came to be the west highland way, it sparked my love for walking and my love with nature. Being out in the open has always brought me some sort of peace. It has always been a home away from home.

(part one of the west highland way. This will be based on the true story of when i done the west highland way and will be nine parts long.)