Chapter 2

Chapter 2

                The next morning, Hawkkit decided he wanted to explore the camp. “Amberfur!” he whispered. “Can I go outside and explore the camp?”

                Amberfur looked up. Her blue eyes were clouded with sadness. “Fine,” she murmured quietly, as if she didn’t care at all.

                Hawkkit trotted outside and peered inside a den next to the nursery that was along the gorse wall surrounding the camp. Two elderly cats were sharing tongues inside the den. One of the cats noticed Hawkkit and whispered something into the other cat’s ear. They both turned to face him. “You’re one of Amberfur’s kits right?” the elderly golden she-cat asked.

                Hawkkit nodded. “My name is Hawkkit,” he meowed. “What’s your name?”

                “I am Goldenberry and my denmate is Brownpelt,” she replied.

                “Is this where the warriors sleep?” Hawkkit asked.

                Goldenberry chuckled softly. “No, little one,” she replied. “The warriors, apprentices, and our Clan leader prefer to sleep outside.”

                Hawkkit hesitated for a moment. “Well then, I am going to sleep outside tonight!” he declared.

                Goldenberry shook her head. “No cat sleeps outside when it is snowy like this!” she meowed.

                Hawkkit started to ask another question, but it was interrupted by a yawn. “Go back to the nursery, Hawkkit,” Brownpelt meowed, speaking to Hawkkit for the first time. “When you have rested you can come back again.”

                Hawkkit started to protest, but he was cut off by yet another yawn. “Go,” Goldenberry meowed gently. “Even warriors need to sleep sometimes.”

                Hawkkit sighed and started to walk back towards the nursery. Behind him, Goldenberry yowled, “Come back soon!”

                Hawkkit padded into the nursery and laid down beside his mother. He quickly drifted into the world of sleep.