Annotated Bibliography

S***** J****

Professor H***

English 102

October 25, 2019

Thomas, C. (2018, March 26). BTS: the k-pop group that finally won America over. Retrieved from                                                               URL

                       The k-pop boy band known as BTS has become the most widely known Korean band since 2017 that almost everyone knows. How did they get so famous? The answer is simple: the ARMY. ARMY is the name of their fanbase and they've done everything they could to get BTS in people's minds. Because of this, BTS has been deemed the most successful k-pop group in history and will continue their success with more support from more fans and with the love that ARMY gives them on a daily basis. This article will help me to support the idea of BTS making bonds with their fans and how that makes a bigger influence on society.

"So expansive is their influence online that BTS holds more sway than even the most addicted social media figures"

"ARMY, are notoriously organized, and capable of mobilizing the band's fanbase across social media platforms to impressive effect"

" an accolade that BTS is happy to share with their supporters."

" hasn't stopped BTS devotees from singing along in phonetic approximation, screaming the band members' names in unison with their ,'"

Park, S.S. (2019). Global k-pop, or how to aestheticize with a hammer. Global-e: A Global Studies                                      Journal 12(29), 1. Retrieved from URL

                    BTS has practically forced their way to the top with their stunning visuals and dance moves. Though they could not have done it without their adoring fans and without their producer, Bang Shi Hyuk. BTS has surprised everyone with how well they turned out, with being from a very small company worth almost nothing from 2005 to being one of the most commonly heard K-pop group with an agency worth now $1 billion USD in 2019. To listen to them is to almost get entranced, to have your heart pound with the beat as your heart screams out the lyrics. This article will help me support my claim on the life changing events BTS can make happen.

"There is the music that you listen to in devotional silence, sitting upright in a concert chamber—the kind that elevates the soul"

"Then there is the kind of music that pumps and hammers the heart into a frenzy"

"Whatever the case, the new standard BTS has set for minority cultures is profoundly encouraging"

Jin, D. Y., & Yoon, T.-J. (2017). The Korean wave: Retrospect and prospect. International journal                                                                  of communication [Online], 2241+. Retrieved from URL

                                People are now obsessing over Korean related subjects, from games to music and it's taking America by storm. There are many aspects as to know why this was happening but one of the main ones is generally because of the kind of boom in Korea's culture industry. From a musical standpoint, many of the entertainment companies try their best to satisfy the many in their country, let alone the whole world. This article also shows how Korea influences other cultures besides America and will help me in supporting my claim about BTS and the messages that could be inside of many of their songs.

"K-pop has become a new growth engine driving hallyu, with newly decorated idol group musicians (e.g., Big Bang, Girl's Generation, JYJ, and BTS) becoming popular in both Asian and Western countries in the 2010s"

" K-pop is a uniquely established youth subculture that transforms into transcultural fandom via digital mediation"

"understand K-pop's cultural hybridity in terms of both its intrinsic nature in its content and, more importantly, within the structural contexts of Korea's culture industry."

These are my sources, the format is the reference citation, summary of the source and quotes that can help me argue my claim.