Chapter 6

"Hey, Delilah," Cassandra called from the foyer, "let's go! We have to get to the airport!"

"I'm not ready!" Delilah yelled in frustration. "Can you come up here and help me finish packing, please?"

Cassandra sighed and ran up the stairs, going hastily to her friend's bedroom. "What do you need help with?"

"I can't find my blue sweater," Delilah groaned.

"It's Florida, not Alaska. I doubt you'll miss it. Let's go," Cassandra urged, becoming a bit annoyed.

"No. I want my blue sweater," Delilah sighed.

"Delilah, for goodness' sake. You're sixteen. Stop whining like you're five."

"I am not whining! If anything, you're the one who sounds like a five-year-old with all your badgering."

Cassandra sighed. "This isn't the time to turn on each other. Fine, I'll help you find your blue sweater. Where did you last leave it?"

"I thought I hung it in my closet, but it isn't there," Delilah replied, digging through her top dresser drawer. "Aha! I found it!" She exclaimed triumphantly, pulling the sweater out.

"Weird," Cassandra frowned. "You always hang up your sweaters. Why was it in the drawer?"

"My mother must have put it in there. She does that from time to time," Delilah shrugged, neatly folding the precious article of clothing and tucking it away safely in her suitcase.

"Now are you ready to go?" Cassandra chuckled, shaking her head fondly. "We still have to go pick up Spencer."

"Why? Because he was too lazy to drive?" Delilah joked, nudging her friend lightly as they made their way down the hallway.

"Something like that," Cassandra laughed.

The two girls continued to talk as they went to the car and climbed in.

"Hello, Delilah," Cassandra's father, Isaac Flynn, said cheerily.

Isaac's wife, Maria, echoed the greeting.

"Hi," Delilah smiled. "Thanks so much for letting us tag along on your trip, Mr. Flynn."

"It's my pleasure," Isaac nodded.

"Which is code for 'I had no choice, because otherwise, my daughter would have taken me on a guilt trip'," Cassandra whispered to her friend.

Delilah giggled in reply.

After a relatively short car ride, they arrived at Spencer's house. He came out immediately and got into the back seat after putting his suitcase in the trunk. "Good afternoon, everyone," he said cheerfully.

"Hey, Spencer," Delilah greeted as Isaac began to drive off toward the airport. "Are you as excited as I am to see Dylan?"

Spencer chuckled. "Of course. It's been awhile since I've seen him in person. I'm looking forward to hanging out with him."

"If his step father will even let him see us," Delilah thought with a silent sigh.

—————

"Oh, thank god," Cassandra sighed as they got off the plane. "That took forever."

"Yep," Delilah nodded, putting a hand to her head. "I'm exhausted."

"Me too," Spencer agreed, yawning a bit.

"I think we all are," Mr. Flynn nodded, running a hand through his graying brown hair before wrapping an arm around his wife.

The group of five went over to the baggage claim and retrieved their luggage. After hunting down two taxis, -one for the three teenagers and one for the two adults, since they all wouldn't fit in one car- they made it safely to the hotel.

"Woah," Delilah gasped as they entered the large building. "This place is huge."

"Yeah. It's better than the last hotel I had to stay at," Isaac chuckled, going to the front desk. He quickly got his family and friends checked in.

A well dressed bell boy, who was easily in his late twenties, helped the group to their rooms. "Is there anything else I can help you with?" He offered after setting their suitcases in the entryways of their suites.

"We're all set for the time being. Thank you," Mr Flynn nodded, tipping the man for his services.

"Thank you, sir," the bell boy smiled before heading off.

After a quick chat with Cassandra's father, she and her two friends set off. "Let's go see if we can steal Dylan for a lunch at that Mexican place he keeps raving about," she suggested.

"Okay," Delilah nodded.

"Sounds good," Spencer agreed.

Delilah unlocked her phone and typed Dylan's address into her GPS app. "Hey, look at that. It's only a ten minute walk from here."

"Perfect," Cassandra smiled. "Let's go."

The three friends followed Delilah's GPS, each one growing more and more excited about seeing their friend again.