Chapter 9

Delilah opened her menu. "So, what do you like to get here?"

"The lasagna is perfection," Dylan smiled, his eyes fixed on hers as she carefully scanned the menu.

Delilah glanced at him quickly and back at her menu. When she realized that he had been staring at her, she snapped her gaze back to him. "What?"

Dylan smiled fondly at her, propping his chin on his hand and closing his eyes. "Shh. Just let me enjoy this."

"Enjoy what?" Delilah laughed.

"Hearing your voice in person and not coming out of my phone's speaker," Dylan said blissfully, reaching a hand out to her.

Delilah gently grasped it, holding onto it tightly.

"I don't want to ever let you go," Dylan sighed. "I hate living a thousand miles away."

"Me too," Delilah nodded, kissing the back of his hand. "Oh, Dylan, I do wish your stepfather didn't have to live here because of his job."

"Oh, please. A man with his qualifications could easily find work elsewhere. But he's well off and he wouldn't want to jeopardize that," Dylan sighed.

"From what I gather, he's a very greedy man," Delilah frowned.

Dylan nodded. "Why do you think he wants me to do well in school? Why do you think he wants it so much that he's being a jerk about it?"

"Well, it can't be because he cares, since I think we both know that that's not true," Delilah sighed. "Why?"

"Because he wants me to get a good job. He wants me to be as well off as him. You know why? It's because he doesn't want to have to care for me," Dylan said quietly. "He doesn't want me to be a burden on him and Mom."

"That's terrible!" Delilah exclaimed rather too loudly. "Did he say that to your face?"

Dylan nodded. "Let's order, shall we? The waitress will be here any moment."

"Alright," Delilah agreed, letting the subject drop. It was quite obvious that it made her friend a bit uncomfortable to talk about and she didn't wish to push him.

A minute or so later, a short, blonde girl with dark green eyes and freckles approached the table. "Hello. My name is Sibel and I'll be your waitress today. Can I start you off with something to drink?"

"I'll have a Dr. Pepper," Dylan nodded.

"Make that two," Delilah smiled.

"Alright," the waitress nodded. "Do you know what you would like to eat or would you like a few minutes?"

Dylan looked at Delilah, who nodded, telling him she  was ready. "We can order now," the former told the waitress. "I'll have the chicken parmesan with the angel hair pasta and marinara sauce."

"And for the lady?" The waitress smiled, turning to Delilah.

"The lasagna with bolognese sauce, please," she nodded, smiling as she handed back her menu. "Thank you."

"My pleasure, Miss," the waitress nodded, tucking the menu under her arm as she finished writing their orders on her notepad. "I'll get this right in for you guys."

"Thank you," Dylan smiled, taking Delilah's hands gently in his own. "You know...as sad as today is for me...you've helped to make it so much happier, Lily."

"Oh, my dear," Delilah sighed, rubbing the backs of his hands with the pads of her thumbs. "I don't know what to say. I feel like, after three years of not seeing you in person and after two weeks of not speaking at all, I should have something grand to say, some earth scattering news to tell you...but...but I don't."

"I understand just how you feel," Dylan nodded. "But you don't have to say a thing. Not a single word. Just sit there and let me look at you."

—————

"Thanks for dinner tonight," Dylan smiled as they approached his front door. "I really appreciate you coming to see me."

"I was happy to come," Delilah said softly, giving him a tight hug. "I had so much fun hanging out like this. I wish it could be a regular thing, but it can't."

"I know," Dylan whispered, kissing her cheek. "But of I can get an A plus on my calculus test, Alastor is going to give me my phone back and then you and I can go back to talking on the phone everyday."

"I'd like that," Delilah smiled.