3

I wake up to the door opening and a nurse comes in to give me breakfast. I take it from her and thank her as she leaves, "I miss food." May says sadly as she sits up from my bed. "You can't eat?" I ask her confused, "have you seen me eat?" She asks back. I think for a second and don't remember her ever eating in front of me causing me to shake my head. "What can you do?" I ask her after a bit, "Not much, its pretty boring like this, I don't eat, I can't sleep and I usually can't touch or talk to people, it really just sucks." I look at her sadly, "Do you feel me touching you?" I ask her. She nods, "you're different, so was I, thats Why the dark beings are attracted to you the most, they can touch you. They can hurt you. Just like you can hug me, they can choke you, but they don't want to kill you, they want you to kill yourself so you can become one of them." "But wouldn't that make you a..." I stop not wanting it to be true, but back away from May cautiously. "No, I'm not like them honey, I promise." She says worriedly and upset, "May...why are you here? Why are you with me? How did you even get this way if you're not one of them?" I ask her, "Baby," she interrupts me touching my shoulder gently causing me to flinch causing May to give me a sad look, "please listen to me..." May says taking my hands in hers. I look at our intertwined hands then back up at her now watery green eyes, "I chose to help someone else so instead of going to hell I have a chance to go to heaven, I chose the selfless choice, which is why I'm here now, with you..." May says giving me a warm smile. I'm still nervous and May notices, frowning, "what's wrong?" She asks me, "why would you want me? Why would you choose me? There's obviously other people that are like me out there so why was I important May?" I ask her, "you're just like how I used to be honey." She says to me, "I've seen how your cards were laid out and noticed if I wasn't in them you might've had the same fate as me, I didn't want that to happen to you, I didn't want you to be like...this." May gestures at herself. "Don't make me go." May says about to cry. "Honey please..." May whispers coming over to me and hugging me, "I love you." May says burrying her head in the crook of my neck her tears soaking into my shirt. "I love you too..." I say to her rubbing her back. I let go of May and we sit down on my bed. I pull out my doodle book and start drawing. May lays across my lap and watches me, "your drawings are so beautiful." May says her hand rubbing my leg gently, "thanks, they're really not though, I draw the stupidest things." I say with a small giggle, "even your stupid drawings are beautiful honey." May says causing me to blush, "would you ever draw me?" She asks after a bit of silence, "if you want me to." I say to her. She smiles, "of course." She says. I hear the door open and look up to see a nurse, "you have a visitor." She says. May gets off me and I put down my book and follow the nurse out. When we get to the visiting area I see my brother sitting at the table. I haven't seen him in ten years. I sit across from him and look at him confused, "why are you here?" I asked him, "aren't you ashamed of me like the rest of your family?" I say anger in my tone. He sighs, and shakes his head and says the name I haven't heard in 57 days, "that's not my name anymore." I say to him, "what? Yes it is, what are you talking about?" "My name is patient 643, no one calls me anything else." I say to him emotionlessly. He sighs, "mom and dad say you're crazy." "They don't understand Jake, they don't understand what I'm going through and they're scared, they don't want to believe me because then I'd be 'effected by the devil." I say rolling my eyes. "Just because I see things other people can't if doesn't mean I'm crazy, the things I see have to be real Jake, they're too real." "I wish I could see through your eyes sometimes." He says. "You'd regret it. You don't want this." I say to him, "...please just...try to come home, I miss you." He says sadly, "do mom and dad miss me?" I ask him. He doesn't say anything and I smirk, "that's what I thought." I say shaking my head and sighing as the nurse puts a hand on my shoulder, "come with me back to your room 643." She says. I get up and follow her. When I get back to my room May sits up on my bed and smiles at me, "who was it?" She asks, "my brother." I mumble, "your brother?" She asks confused. I nod as I sit on my bed May immediately coming over to me and leaning her head against my shoulder. "What did he want?" She asks me curiously, "I don't know, just to visit me I guess." I say, "are you okay?" May asks sitting up and looking into my eyes. "I don't know."