Prologue

Lovingheart, the clan healer of Mossclan, was getting worried she still couldn't find Mintleaf, a blue black speckled she-cat expecting kits, she could get hurt or lost in a storm like this. There is such a thick haze obscuring the ground that Loving heart could barely see a few paws ahead of where she walked. She realized suddenly that Mintleaf could be having her kits right now, but they could die in a violent, cold storm like this! She has to find Mintleaf.

        When Lovingheart finaly found Mintleaf one of the kits was already on its way. Lovingheart helped Mintleaf give birth to three kits, one boy and two girls.

        "Take them to camp right now, don't worry about me there lives are entirly more precious than mine," Mintleaf said with apprehension on her face then nudged the little white female kit, "This one has to be named Hazekit no matter what, ok?"

        "She will be sure to be called Haze kit, but are you sure about this Mintleaf? In your state I don't know how long you can survive in a storm like this," Lovingheart said her worry evident.

        "Just take the kits they don't have long, hurry,"

        "Ok. Mintleaf may these kits grow up to be as wnderfull as you are," Lovingheart said as if there might not be a next tme, "May Starclan be with you,"

        With those last words Lovingheart took off with the three kits in her jaw trying to hurry, but not get lost. Lovingheart knew even with this effort the kits may not make it. Lovingheart finaly ran into a patrol--probably out looking for them--the patrol looked suprised when they saw the kits though.

        "Hurry, Mintleaf is that way. She made me take the kits first," Lovingheart said her voice muffled by the kits she is carrying and hurried back on to the camp.

        Finaly Lovingheart made it back to the camp, and with anxious and apprehensive glances from the other cats she made it to her den. Some of the cats had followed her in. She handed the kits off one to each of the cats.

        "Rub them to warm them up, and just make sure they stay warm," the healer said to the others.

        The three kits were named Hazekit (the white female kit that had light clored spots and undercoating), Sorrowkit (the black male kit that had tan brown undercoatings), and Swirlkit (the cream brown female runt of the litter). By the time the patrol had brought their mother Mintleaf back to camp it was to late, she died withen an hour or so. Later that night Swirlkit could not hold on anymore and there was nothing anyone could do for her and she ended up dying. The whole clan seemed to be weeping at their loss.