NOVACANCY

NO VACANCY
17:42 (2/17)
Albany, New York

"You're leaving."
   Zebulon hadn't even gotten in the car before the words left his dad's mouth. He set his jaw and slammed the door shut.
   "Alright. When?"
   "By the end of the week." Samuel refused to make eye contact with him as he backed out of the parking lot, and Zebulon eventually turned to stare out the window.
   "Got it."
   It was silent, the radio shut off and the heater set to low. Finally, his dad broke the silence with a loud sigh.
   "Your aunt agreed to let you move in with her. You'll finish school-"
   "What the fuck? You mean I'm moving across the fucking country?" As hard as he tried to stay calm and not let his dad get the best of him, this was too much to handle. "Are you seriously-"
   "Yes. And you should be grateful." Samuel turned to meet his gaze but found Zebulon with his head between his knees, his hands clasped at the base of his neck.
   "I'm gonna be fucking sick."
   "No, you fucking aren't. Sit up and look at me." When his words had no effect on his son Samuel had to resist the urge to reach out and pull him upright by his hair. "I said look at me."
   Zebulon turned to look at his father and prayed that the man sitting less than a foot to his right could feel how much he hated him. How much he wanted to jump out of the car and never stop running. How much he never wanted to see him again in his life.
   "Act like a damn adult, Zebulon. I never raised you to be this disrespectful."
   Zebulon bit his tongue and turned to face out the window once again. There was nothing he could do at this point. He couldn't change his mind.