Part 1, Chapter II

The Frock and The Well of Anger

   After Macabre's deep cleaning they took her to an old room. Lucy dug in a rickety, old wardrobe and pulled out a worn and torn, faded emerald green frock. Lucy held it up to Macabre's chest, thinking.

   "Sorry the skirt is torn, but I think this dress suits you the best. Don't you think, Mary Ann? It matches her amulet too!"

   Lucy led her behind a floral privacy screen. She helped her put on the frock. After Lucy put her in front of a mirror. Her eyes glimmered when she saw herself. Her--in the dress she always dreamed of. The widest smile cut across her face. Lucy and Mary Ann took Macabre to the lounge room. Macabre, remembering Lucy sitting down on the couch she carefully sat on the fainting couch. Lucy went to go fetch Allen and left Mary Ann with Macabre.

   Suddenly Edward barged in with his normal clothes on pacing here and there with his pocket watch in hand.

   "That's Prince Edward," Mary Ann whispered in Macabre's ear. "He's the oldest, and by far the most homely one. I mean don't you see it? Prince Allen is gorgeous!"

   "...Ed...ward," Macabre said, making Edward stop in his tracks.

   "Yes...I am Edward. And you are?"

   Macabre stared blankly at him.

   "Her name's Macabre, sir. Or at least that's what she said."

   "Macabre, eh?"

  "Ma...cabre."

   Edward huffed then left. Instead, Lucy came back with Allen. Allen examined.

   "Nice work. She looks better already. Now, find her a room--she's staying."

   "What? But why Prince Allen. She's just some random girl you found. Don't tell me you intend on marrying her, sir."

   "Oh, goodness me, no! Her? You must be daft if you think I'd marry her! I just think she's interesting; I want to keep her for a while."

   "Al...len...Al...len..."

   "So she can speak...Like I said, find her a room."

   "Yes, sir."

   Edward tapped his pen on his paper. Stumped. He couldn't think of anything. He sighed. His lamped burned bright in the dim room. He was glad to be home, but somehow he felt the opposite. Allen barged in.

   "Ed, I have a wonderful idea! You should be that girl's tutor! Teach her how to read and write and talk--"

    "Not a chance."

    "Oh, C'mon, Ed! This'll get your mind off the war--"

   "I'll never forget the war, Allen," Edward snapped back. "No matter how hard I try I won't ever forget it! And it's just some girl, why should waste my time trying to teach her basic skills. I know why you're keeping her here. Using her for your twisted "jokes". You're a horrible person."

   "What's that's supposed to mean?" Allen inquired, leaning on his desk.

   "You're only keeping her so you can humiliate her. Make her the laughing stock of the kingdom. That's why women flock to you, so they can ensure that they won't fall victim to your horrible antics."

   "Why would the kingdom need a new laughing stock when they have you. You're a disgrace to this kingdom and this royal family! I mean look at you! You are homely. The only reason women flock to me is because my face isn't frightening...unlike yours."

   Anger welled up inside him. "Get out!" He grabbed a vase full of flowers and threw at him, he missed and the vase shattered against the wall. Huffing and puffing he went back to his writing. An hour or so later Edward strolled down the halls of the palace. He saw Lucy come out of a room.

   She bowed to him, "Sir."

   "What's going on? How's that girl?"

   "Oh, Macabre? She's doing fine, I'd say. Mary Ann's telling her about the opera. What's wrong, sir? You seem disgruntled."

   Edward sighed. "I'm fine. Just need to get some rest."

   She nodded. The next morning Macabre woke up on a lounge chair. Her legs and her torn frock still there she smiled. Lucy came in while tying up her thin, brown hair. Macabre, as always, stared at her.

   "Oh, good morning, Macabre," she greeted. "You're up early. Breakfast is just about done. Do you want to come to eat with us?"

   Lucy stuck her hand out. Macabre, using the knowledge she had from yesterday knew this meant Lucy wanted to take her somewhere. She took her hand making Lucy smile. Lucy was starting to like Macabre.

   Macabre pointed to her. "...Lu...Lu...Lucy..."

   "Good job, Macabre! You're catching on quite well! I'm sure soon you'll be able to form full sentences!"

   On the other side of the palace was the servants' dining room. There was Mary Ann in her dull pink frock stuffing her face full of poached eggs, grits, and sausage patties, five or six butlers, about six more maids, three gardeners, and three cooks. They were all squeezed together in a boarding room with a large table in the walkway and chairs up against the beds.

   "Hey, Macabre!" Mary Ann greeted, her mouth full.

   "Manners, Mary Ann! Opera singers don't sing with their mouth full, now do they?"

   Mary Ann swallowed. "C'mon, Macabre! I saved a seat for you!"

   She squeezed past the other chairs and sat shoulder to shoulder with Mary Ann.

   "Here. I got some you for you."

   She set the plate and silverware in front of her. Macabre watched as the others ate their food. She took the knife in her left and fork in her right. She stabbed a sausage patty and eased it into her mouth. She took one bite and chewed. Her eyes grew wide in awe--in awe of how scrumptious this food was! Never in her existence had she tasted something so sensational! Back at the coast, all she ate was seaweed and oyster meat. If the sausage was that good then everything should be too, right? In less than ten minutes flat her plate was polished.

   "I see you liked breakfast," Lucy said.

   "Bre...fast? Bre...fast! Brefast!" she shouted, in her soft voice.

   Lucy and Mary Ann giggled.

   "Ed...ward? Al...len?"

    "They don't eat breakfast with us. But if you'd like to see them I can take you after I finish eating," Lucy offered.

   Macabre nodded.