December 29th

December 29th - Bryan

Alison's kids had been back for a day, and Cole and Sam did a good job ignoring one another. Although Bryan was glad to see Keira, he missed the peacefulness they had with just Sam. They had left Sam alone when Bryan had his interview with the Biddeford chief. It went well, but in the back of his mind, he wasn't sure why he was bothering. He had also gone into town to tour the station and meet with Chief Libby.

He explained he was only considering a move to The Point, since he was no longer certain it would happen. The chief said, "My daughter has some classmates that live down there, she's rather jealous. Let's see there are Ivy and Ker... or Ky..."

Bryan smiled. "Keira is my girlfriend's daughter. Keira Butler, Alison and I are still working out my move."

"I know the name Alison Butler. I write checks to her every soccer season and baseball and dance."

Bryan laughed. "She has quite a business going for herself."

"I'm sure she knows my wife, Beth."

If Alison knew his wife she didn't know that her husband was the chief. He enjoyed meeting him but felt as if he wasted the chief's time. He couldn't force Sam to move. He and Alison didn't mention the ring again, but she took the box, after refusing to open it.

Bryan woke early to find the ground blanketed with snow. The complex weather reporting fascinated him, as the meteorologists tried to predict how much snow would fall. Alison explained, unless it was a coastal storm system, they wouldn't get as much snow on the coast. Often the mountains could get a foot or more and the coast just rain. As of the previous night, they expected the coast to receive four to seven inches.

He sat sipping coffee watching the snowfall. The snow shouldn't affect their flight the next day. He would be happy to stay longer, but Sam was more than ready to go home. Bryan had scheduled himself to work a double which included New Year's Eve to make up for his week away.

Keira woke first and was excited to see the snow. It was their first snowfall of the season. When Alison appeared, he was busy losing a game of Mancala.

"How long have you been up?" She eyed the coffee.

"I couldn't sleep. I was too excited about the snow." Or was it his worry about their future? He had been optimistic to think when they left he would have a plan, but everything was in limbo.

"Me too! Mommy, when can I go play outside?"

"Not yet. You need breakfast first."

Bryan followed Alison into the kitchen and wrapping his arms around her waist. "So are we snowbound?"

"We are today, but Mark texted me. He's bringing his snowmobile over. He promised Sam he'd find snow for him."

Bryan was glad Sam would have one good day to talk about back home. After noon, Mark arrived with his trailer and some extra gear. Sam was on his way out the door with a big smile.

Cole said, "What about me?"

Alison spoke up. "Maybe Uncle Mark will take you out later."

"Why does he go first?" Cole complained.

Bryan watched as Sam stopped and started taking off his goggles and hat. "Forget it, I don't want to go anymore."

Alison yelled. "No!" It startled Sam. "Sam, Mark promised you for Christmas. Cole, Mark, and Andrea bought you what you wanted for Christmas. Besides, you have shown no interest before. Sam is going and you and Mark can plan for another day."

Bryan stared at her and sadly thought he loved her more at that moment for sticking up for his son, but it just confirmed she was right not to accept his ring.

Sam didn't know what to do, but Mark pulled him. "Come on. I promised you."

Cole moped which put Alison in a bad mood. Bryan went out to shovel while Keira played in the snow. The only emotion he felt was sadness - sadness he was leaving, a sadness the trip didn't turn out as he hoped. He no longer saw a bright future. He and Alison didn't argue, but they suddenly had nothing to say. Typically, they could talk for hours, but Bryan was at a loss for words. The silence only became worse after he received a call from Biddeford and turned down their job offer.

Sam came back happy. He talked about riding on the streets and on the beach and they stopped at The Landing and Mark bought him a hot chocolate. Bryan wanted to ask Sam if he would ever be willing to move, but he couldn't put pressure on his son. He refused to blame anyone but himself and his unrealistic dreams.

December 29th - Alison

Alison hid in her room and cried after Bryan turned down the job offer. She wanted to yell at him too and tell him, no, but there wasn't any point. She loved her son, but she was angry with him for the way he'd been acting. His time with his father didn't help. She was certain Curtis influenced Cole, who had always been a daddy's boy.

She cried again later when her sister called. "Sam told Mark he was never coming back."

Alison felt her heartbreak. "Why would he want to? He hates it here and Cole has done his part to make sure Sam hasn't felt welcome."

"Mark told me what Cole pulled. I might just kill my nephew."

"Don't I blame most of it on Curtis, plus I will give my son a tongue lashing after Bryan leaves tomorrow."

"So if Sam is never coming back where does that leave Bryan."

"I don't want to talk about it." She hung up on her. The answer to her questions was it left Bryan in Ohio with an occasional weekend trip when he could afford it.

That night Sam went to bed early and when Bryan checked on him, he was sound asleep. The fresh air and exhilaration must have tired him out. Alison pleaded with him. "Just come in my room for a while. I'll set my alarm and you can go back to Sam."

They made slow love. It differed from the urgency they had in her studio on Christmas Eve. Alison feared it was goodbye. Once he was home, Bryan would realize he didn't want her baggage - an ex-husband and a moody teenager. Her heart was breaking, and she missed Bryan even though she was lying in his embrace.