Chapter 2

Rylan to the side>>>>>

~~~~~~~~~

After the initial shock, I stumbled back and fell outside the door. No... that's not possible. The girl was me. I wasn't dead though. I was very much alive! This just didn't add up. I had to find someone, anyone who could convince me that maybe I was going crazy or something. There had to be someone nearby who could tell me what's going on. Seth... yes! He lived close. I could tell him what happened and we could joke about it and then everything would be okay. He always knew how to make everything okay.

I began running, my breath coming out in short pants. The only way home was through the woods, which was another reason why I never went to the boathouse at night. I pushed myself to ignore the numbing pain in my feet, the random snap of a branch, and the bristle of leaves. In ten minutes' time, I was outside Seth's house.
His house was a second home to me. I usually stayed here every night, expect for when my dad was home from traveling. It looked the same as always. It was a small house, in a small neighborhood, in a small town. Something was... off though. Was it the silence I thought I had grown accustomed to? Or, maybe the detachment I began to feel from the rest of the world? Whatever it was, I didn't like it one bit.

I was about to knock on the door. I wanted to, but something was holding me back. I stood still as a silhouette appeared, making its way towards Seth's door. As the street lights shone down, I saw my best friend, Lilly, approach the door. I could see her breath in the air. In fact, she was wearing mittens and a hat along with her favorite pea coat. It didn't make any sense. I felt comfortable in barely anything, and she was bundled up like it was cold outside.

I watched as she knocked on the door. After a few seconds, the door swing open and Seth stood there in pajama pants and a blue tee.

"Jeez. It's freezing out here. What's up Lilly?" Seth rubbed his arms and bounced on his feet.

"Have you seen Maggie? I called her over a million times already. I checked her house, too, and her mom told me she had gone out.
I'm really starting to worry." Her English accent was especially thick tonight.

I almost laughed at her over exaggeration. She tended to do that a lot.

"No, I haven't. She was supposed to come over tonight actually, but she texted me and told she wasn't coming because her dad was home. That was around seven. I haven't heard anything else." He didn't seem fazed in the slightest.

That was a pretty natural reaction, considering I did that quite often whenever my dad came home. But it's funny... I don't recall texting him anything.

"Well, if you hear from her let me know. This isn't like her at all." I decided now would be a good time to intervene.

"Hey guys! I'm right here! How are you cold? It's really warm tonight, actually. You guys won't believe what just happened. I was out at the boathouse and I seriously thought I saw a body. Must have been my imagination though because..." I stopped mid-sentence when I realized they never turned to acknowledge me.

I touched Lilly's shoulder and she shivered, pulling her coat closet to herself. I don't understand...

"Lilly? I'm right here. Seth... Baby it's me." They continued speaking as if I weren't there.

"They can't hear you, you know." My eyebrows furrowed as I slowly glanced over my shoulder at the boy who spoke to me.

"Why... Why not?" My voice quivered.

"Because you're dead, princess. Why else?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So... It's been quite awhile. Like almost 3 months. And I'm sorry. I was trying to push myself to type this out but I was so busy and when I wasn't, I had no motivation to. But, I FINALLY sucked it up and did it. More chapters to come soon.
P.S. They're short chapters because this is a short story. Therefore, I'm not making them longer. Sorry again.
VOTE/COMMENT/FAN :D