Chapter 13

Masaru seemed to have a better time at the movies than he expected to, which left Rina feeling happy and optimistic. That feeling bled over into the next morning, when she walked to school the next morning with a spring in her step.

"R-R-Rina!" Suzu said, giving Rina a hug when she walked up to her, "Yesterday was g-great!"

"It was, wasn't it?" Rina asked with a smile, hugging her back before they both began to walk.

"I'm so g-glad you and Masaru finally d-d-decided to go on a date with me!" Suzu said happily.

Rina's smile quickly turned upside down

"Um, Suzu that wasn't-" She was cut off when Suzu put her finger in front of her mouth and made a "shhh" sound.

"L-L-Let me have this daydream." She said, her cheeks turning pink.

Rina sighed, her own cheeks a bit warm. She decided that, as long as she knew that it would never be a reality, Suzu could daydream all she wanted to.

"That movie was really weird." Rina said, "The plot kind of made no sense."

"I g-guess it's one of those films that's supposed to make you th-th-think." Suzu said, "I thought it w-was ok."

"Masaru seemed to enjoy it, though." Rina said, smiling to herself as she remembered the day before.

"I d-d-don't think it was the m-movie he was watching..." Suzu said, giving Rina a grin.

"What are you talking about?" Rina asked, her face feeling even warmer.

"You know ex-exactly what I m-m-mean." Suzu replied.

Rina put a hand to her cheek, it felt like it was on fire!

"Did he really...?" She trailed off as they entered the school.

"It's ok, I was just j-j-joking." Suzu said, looking at Rina from the corner of her eye.

Rina frowned, and puffed out her cheeks.

"When did you become such a comedian?" She asked with an annoyed tone.

"Fuyo and K-K-Katsuo are both missing today..." Suzu pointed out, looking around.

"You're right." Rina said, "Maybe she went to go nurse him back to health."

"That d-d-does sounds like something she would d-do." Suzu said, putting a finger to her lip as she imagined it, "Maybe I'll g-g-go check after school."

"You know where Katsuo lives?" Rina asked, glancing over a Suzu.

"I know the g-g-general area." Suzu said, "I can m-message him for the sp-specifics."

"What exactly is your relationship with Katsuo?" Rina asked, looking at Suzu suspiciously.

"We've gotten to be a bit c-c-close." Suzu admitted, "I think we've become g-good friends."

"Mhm." Rina said, returning the grin she received from Suzu earlier.

"It isn't l-l-like that!" Suzu said, "My heart b-belongs to you and M-M-Masaru. And Katsuo..."

Suzu trailed off, and once it became clear she wasn't going to finish the sentence, Rina spoke.

"Katsuo is...what?" She asked.

"Nothing." Suzu said, shaking her head, "You're imagining th-th-things. We're j-just friends."

"If you say so." Rina said with a shrug.

After a bit more walking, Suzu spoke up again.

"H-how is the case g-going?" She asked.

"Not well." Rina said, "We got a different story from just about everyone, and one person wasn't even there."