Chapter One; The Bucket List

"Please remain seated and quiet until all of the exam scripts have been collected!"

I neatly turn back to the front page of the exam, happy with all my answers. I push the paper, face down, to the corner of the desk and lean back in my chair.

I catch eye contact with my best friend, Lara. She sends me a super cheesy grin, equipped with a thumbs up and everything. I smile back because that's the only thing I can do.

It seems that all the exam scripts have been collected and all we were waiting for was the bell.

2 minutes.

I counted the seconds, my eyes never leaving the clock. Time was moving incredibly slow, but I think that was because of all the anticipation I held towards that bell ringing.

Here we go now,

10,

9,

8,

7,

I steal a look at Lara from the edge of my eye, she's gripping the sides of the table and her bum is hovering over her seat, she's clearly too excited to sit and wait.

3,

2,

1,

*RIIIINGGG*

Everyone shouts and makes way for the exit. I stand still, and wait fir Lara to get to my desk so we can walk out together. The atmosphere is electric and the hallways are buzzing with excitement.

"out of 10?"

I consider Lara's question, I shrug and decide on an answer, "bout an 8, yeah, a good permanent 8!"

Lara nods her head in agreement, "yeah, I like geography, easy stuff. My favourite was the tick the box questions! Knew all the answers!" I can't help laugh a little at Lara's comment, "that's because all the answers are already there for you stupid!"

Lara shrugs and pulls out a packet of skittles from her shoulder bag, she offers me the bag and because I'm her best friend, I take a handful instead of just two like a normal polite person would.

"I don't even care anymore! The exam's are over, which means school if officially over and the best summer of our lives can now begin!" Lara lets out a sigh of relief at the end of her sentence as we stop by my locker. I open the metal press that has served as my locker the past school year and let our a content sigh. I was gonna miss this locker, it was in a good place and I had easy access to it. Ah well, goodbye my dear friend! I take the last two books from inside the locker and sling them into my school bag before slamming the door shut for the last time.

I pick up the conversation from where it had stopped moments ago, "so best summer ever, hey?" I smirk and Lara nods her head enthusiastically, I can't help but smile at her joy. She leads me out the front doors of the school and we begin our walk back to Lara's, as we had everyday we finished school for the summer since we met. Lara continues, "of course this will be the best summer ever! And do you know why?...."

I shake my head laughing, "no, why will it be the best summer ever?" Lara's eyes sparkle slightly and she can't seem to hide the massive grin that is forming on her face, she speaks slowly to ensure that I don't miss a word, "because.... This summer we are going to try complete our bucket lists!"

I smile slightly, yes me and Lara had bucket lists, yes you do wish that you were as awesome as us, ok?

We started them when we were about ten and we were watching some cheesy summer movie and then we got the idea, lets just say that we were easy influenced children! Obviously we've changed them over the years to make them more suitable and realistic (especially Lara's one, what can I say? The kid was a dreamer, but there was no way we were going to financially afford a private island on Hawaii and we weren't going scuba diving anytime soon either) but we weren't allowed to change them without consulting each other and giving our reasons for change, we then discuss it and the other person then decides if we can make the change. So for the first day of summer we went over to Lara's, consulted our lists and then decided which tasks we were going to tackle the present summer.