Back Hug

Sunday morning was a bright sunny day with fresh hopes. Raven got up late and looked at her phone.
Jason texted her about the time (1 pm) for Jenny's birthday celebration at Stella's cafe.
She kept the phone there and went to the window side. Looking at the bright sunshine shinning at her face, she could feel the warmth seeping in her soul through her delicate features.
She had nothing to do at home so, she thought it would be fine to attend the birthday event. She picked up her phone and called Gary.

Gary; Hi

Raven; Morning.

Gary; Well, It's not morning but almost afternoon.

Raven; Fine. (chuckling)

Gary; You alright?

Raven; Yeah! I think I should attend Jenny's birthday.

Gary; You don't have to force yourself.

Raven; I am free, have nothing to do. Instead of being home all day, doing nothing, I want to go outside and hang out with you guys.

Gary; If that's what you want, get ready and I'll be there by 12:45.

Raven; Fine.

She went for breakfast downstairs.

Raven; Good Morning, Mom.

Mom; Good Afternoon, dear. (laughing)

Raven; Mom, please give me breakfast.

Mom; You mean lunch, right.

Raven; Ya mom whatever. By the way, where's Dad? I haven't seen him in a while.

Mom; He is busy with work. Do you plan to spend this weekend in your room as well?

Raven; Not really. I am attending a small birthday party at Stella's cafe.

Mom; With Gary, right?

Raven; Yes but you don't have to confirm that every time. I can take care of myself except for the directions. (agitated)

Mom; He is just a responsible child. So, I just confirmed. Enjoy your time, dear.

She was ready by 12:30 in her comfy striped white sweatshirt and regular jeans with her favourite white laced shoes.
She picked up the comic book beside her bed that she hadn't even opened once. Wishing her mother goodbye, she went outside to talk a short walk. The warmth of the weather felt remarkably pleasing to her.

Walking towards the distance down the hill but not that far. She was curious to go all the way along to the bottom.
But Gary called her out and they went to Stella's cafe.
On their way, Gary was silent as usual and Raven was just not in the mood to initiate the conversation.

The coffee-coloured right corner of the cafe was highlighted with pink and white balloons and long colourful tassels. With 'Happy Birthday' written on the small paper sheets tied together by the string, the wall was given simple but perfect finishing. Coffee tables were joined to make one single large table filled with numerous food items.

Jason and Stella approached the table with the plates full of cupcakes. Stella was wearing a similar top that Jason gifted her except for the colour difference. Raven was shocked to see it. Jason smiled at her and went to the kitchen later.

Stella; Oh you guys came too late to help us.

Gary; I think we are guests, not the organizers. Guests don't help. (teasing her)

Stella; Oh my god! What a brilliant excuse!
Raven, Lily was looking for you.

Raven; I'll see her.
By the way, you look good. Where did you buy this top?