7

"8 hours?" My sister asked. "You've got to be kidding me!"

        My mom turned around from the front seat to face us.

        "Well, depending on how many stops we make, yes." she smiled.

        "Why can't we drive with dad and Jackson?" I asked.

        She turned the key in her ignition.

        "Your dad and I are driving our car. Jackson is driving his car to the buyer and your father is taking you car to the same buyer. We share a car remember. I promise when we get there, we will get you new cars. And Angela too, you'll be starting your drivers test when we get there as well." my mom added.

        "Your selling my car? I bought that with my own money mom!" I exclaimed angrily.

        "The couple who bought it, payed way more than you did and you will be getting that money ok? Now please just relax. We are going to go get you father and brother."  she sighed. 

        20 minutes later we picked up my dad and my brother. Angela, Jackson, and I all fit in the backseat. Once Jackson got buckled, her reached into his pocket and pulled out money and handed it to me.

        "There is one thousand dollars in there. That's the best they could do." he said. "They  really liked the car though."

        "I just drove it today! You cleaned it out and everything?" I asked my parents.

        "Of course we did. So we are getting new furniture which includes new dressers, new beds a new kitchen and dining room table, new living room set etc." my dad said.

        "You got rid of my dresser? That was my favorite dad! You had it made especially for me. That was the only thing I had of you guys when you weren't there." Angela moped. 

        My dad peeled away from the couples house and started driving.

        "I know, but this is a new start and you won't need a dresser to feel like we are there, we are going to be there. It's going to be a fresh start ok?" he soothed.

        Angela didn't reply with anything but a tired sigh.

        All three of us fell asleep, the music in our headphones was like a lullaby. I was the first one to wake up. My parents were having a conversation and I heard my name in it. 

        "I feel so bad. Breanna was right honey, we missed a lot whenever we were gone. We barely saw them grow up and we missed Breanna's sweet 16. I'm sure that there is a lot we don't know and I don't want them to feel like they can't tell us." my mom sighed.

        "Breanna is just over reacting. She just doesn't understand that we are doing this for them."

        "That's what I tried telling her, but she broke down William. I've never seen her cry like that before and it broke my heart with some of the things she said because they're true. We act like we are a perfect family. We have the money and the fancy stuff and I told her that she was ungreatful. She responded saying she didn't care about all the fancy stuff. She cared about is and we were never there." My moms voice cracked.

        My dad was silent. I opened my eyes a little bit and saw them holding hands. 

        "What do you think happened all those times we were gone?" My dad finally spoke.

        "I don't know. They're teenagers and I'm sure a lot of things happened. I'm worried." she responded.

        I closed my eyes again and tried to keep in my tears but I felt one slip out and roll down my cheek. I hoped that they didn't see, but apparently Jackson did and he gave my hand a comforting squeeze.