Chapter Four

Morning came and I dressed in dark jeans and a red jacket over a white t-shirt. The shirt has the words “SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE JÄGER” in black military block lettering. The words meant “YOU ARE THE PREY AND WE ARE THE HUNTER” in German, my birth language.

I slipped some black tennis shoes over my white ankle socks and grabbed a black umbrella in case it started to rain. I slipped my keys, phone, and wallet into my jacket pockets, opening the door and shutting it behind me, turning the house key in the hole before slipping it around my neck. I looked up and smiled, ocean green eyes meeting stormy blue.

“Hey Levi! Just in time! How did you sleep last night?” I carded fingers through my brunette hair and slid a hand in my jeans pocket.

“I slept good. You?” Levi leaned against my car with his hands buried in his pockets. He was wearing purple and blue jeans with a light blue t-shirt and a dark purple jacket. His shoes were purple and black. He had a purple and black tote hanging on his side.

“I slept great! What’s in the bag?” my curiosity got the best of me, and I pointed at the bag.

“Notebooks, pencil, charcoal, colored pencils, sketchbook. Just my everyday supplies.”

Levi gripped the bag handle in his hand tightly, and I just kept my smile on my face. “That sounds cool! Maybe I can show you some art work I’ve worked on through the years. You might like them. That is if you still want me around.” My mood went down when I remembered why I wanted to talk to him in the first place.

“There is only one way to figure that out, brat. Let’s go.” I unlocked and opened his door, a simple routine I was scared would come to an end in just half an hour after he knew everything about me.

“Alrighty. Here we go!” I hopped into my own seat and shut the door starting the car in one swift twist. I pulled out and drove the ten minutes to the park. When we arrived at the park, I followed after Levi as he led me through trees and onto a covered path. I wondered for a second how I hadn’t seen this before but realized that the trees were thick so it was no wonder at all how I never did.

We stopped at a clearing in the woods and I gasped silently at the beauty. There was a silent stream flowing at the edge with flowers lining up the sides, rabbits were hopping into the trees, most likely sensing me, and deer leapt through bushes to hide. Fish leaped out of the water and back in the same second, and frogs hopped on lily pads floating on top of the water. A couple logs laid down in the center. A faint breeze blew through our hair, and I lifted my face up to the sky. There was an opening above us and light streamed down in rays, like the gates of heaven had opened up to let the angels sing.

“It…it’s beautiful.” I whispered as the wind drafted up and my shirt flowed in the soft air. I smiled down at Levi as he walked over and took a seat on one of the logs. I followed after.

“It is, isn’t it? I come here every weekend when I want some time alone. I haven’t been here in a month though. It’s…it’s a special place for me.” Levi’s voice was in a whisper as he spoke, and I was glad I had super hearing.

“Mhm. I’m sorry I kept you from coming here. I guess I can be kinda pushy. This place is special, huh? I can see why, a little. It’s a peaceful place to be.”

“It reminds me of my mom. She would have liked it here. She loved flowers and picnics and playing in streams. She was always carefree. Until she died, of course.”

“My mom would have loved it here as well. How did she die? You…you don't mind me asking, do you?”

“I don't mind answering that. She had breast cancer, and she was put on chemo for a few years. She eventually grew too ill to move, and she died asleep. I was in her arms and heartbroken when I woke up, but she didn’t. I saw her expression of peace though, so I know she died happy with me in her arms. She had tears staining her cheeks. How did your mom die?”