chapter 2

Noelle closed her eyes. Imagining what Michael would do in such drastic situation. Her stomach rumbled pleading her to feed herself instead of crying her heart out for her lost lover. Noelle opened the can of juicy fruit cocktail she opened it banging it against a nearly intact bench. Her tears mixed with the sweet taste of fruit. She never felt so happy to eat a can of fruit cocktail before. The whole situation was freaking her out. For an instance she thought to be dreaming, but she wasn’t. She tried to convince herself he wasn’t gone forever, but it was stronger than her. She loved him. She loved him since the day she met him. He brought her up every time she was down and his existence made hers a lot better. Beatrice’s presence would have brightened up her up a bit too. How she missed that smile of hers and all those times she tried to convince everyone she was a good girl instead she wasn’t. All those memories made Noelle tear even more. She sat on the dirty ground and huddled herself up in a corner finishing up her food.

“Dear Beatrice,

I am the unfortunate soul who was forced to read your letter. I am Luke. I am 18. The reason why I am in your same grade is that I am a bit retarded. I am joking. I am not retarded. At least that’s what I think. I live in Australia, where the climate is not for penguins. And I guess I enjoy life.

I like the fact there is a girl who likes band shirts as I do. I wear Nirvana shirts a lot like nearly everyday, till my mom tells me to change it. I know it’s crazy. I’m not the guy who is perfect in school, I don’t think I’m perfect in anything except music.

I’ll start with the pointless crap my teacher wants me to tell you. I am blonde, tall and I have a lip piercing (my teacher is against it, I’m a bad boy).

You know what? Fuck that shit. I am very happy to be writing to a girl, because the past years, I’ve been writing to a annoying cat boy. So I’m really glad I’m writing to a girl. A very pretty girl I assume ;)

My family is a very happy family and I’m very united to them. I have two older brothers: Ben and Jack. They are crazier than me and together we do crazy shit. I know I’m eighteen, but I have the right to love my family right?

Sorry but this is all from me babe ;)

Luke”

Beatrice giggled while reading the letter twice. Noelle noticed that and she felt that her best friend had a expression on her face she didn’t see for ages.

“Beatrice… you sure you’re ok?”

Since Beatrice had received the letter, she fell in love with those words. Some simple words scribbled on lined paper. She hated the fact she liked those words. Feelings she never felt were invading her whole mind and body throwing away everything that hurt her in the past.

“Yes…”

Noelle was concerned about Beatrice’s response. She had never seen her best friend like that. Never. Has she fell in love? It wasn’t possible. Why did she had to fall in love now?

A few drops landed on their shoulders daintily advising them to go in the warmth of Beatrice’s house. Mrs Gartner was in the kitchen, cooking something with a very enticing smell and early teen Aria on the sofa texting someone, but by judging the look on her face, it must have been her boyfriend.

Aria was very different from the rest of the family and maybe that was the reason why she thought she was so special. Red hair fell to her shoulders and her eyes were blue as the ocean, which Beatrice claimed hers were better. Her eyelashes were very long which Beatrice envied when she was at her age and lips everyone would like to kiss. She was just 14, but pissed Beatrice and her peers too. She was young, but she claims to be more mature and popular than her older sister Beatrice. Aria was the kind of girl who was the queen bee at your school.

“Bitch..” Beatrice mumbled under her breath as soon as she and her best friend passed in front of her younger sibling.

“Mom!! Beatrice called me a bitch!” Aria shouted at the top of her lungs still not removing her eyes off of the screen of her precious phone.

Mrs Gartner huffed and checked if one of her daughters had killed the other.

“Girls, stop arguing.” She scolded them “ Hi Noelle, it has been a while we haven’t seen each other”

“Yeah… I have been quite busy…” Busy with anything…

“Mom… Noelle has came here for me… not for you..” Beatrice interrupted us.

Mrs Gartner excused herself very politely and made her way back into the kitchen.

“What was written on the letter you were reading before? You were so nervous…” Noelle grabbed a random book from the tidy shelf in Beatrice’s room.

“Nothing…’

‘Nothing means something…’ They kept staring at each other. An awkward silence filling the emptiness of the room.

Beatrice surrendered at the peace of it and deeply breathed, before she confessed.

“In class we are writing to a pen pal in Australia, and I am writing to this Australian guy called Luke…”

“You fell for him!” Noelle gasped throwing the book she was flipping, surprised that her best friend Beatrice Gartner, had fell in love.