Chapter 23

Vassilis looked out of place as they waited on the only seat outside of the petrol station. The pink and white light from the sign flashed across his face as his eyes followed it’s twirling constantly.

Vassilis was wearing breeches, boots and a shirt with slashed sleeves and was covered in grime. It was obvious he had been wearing them for a long time and they had lost their grandeur as well as their accessories.

Lewis came out of the petrol station a bundle of standard clothes in his arms and he dumped them in Vassilis’ lap. Macy and Lewis had had a silent agreement to not let Vassilis talk to the general public until he was brought up to date.

Though ever since they left his prison he had not spoken a word more intent on focusing on his surroundings. “Come on,” Lewis said motioning with his hand. “There’s a bathroom round back where you can get changed.”    

It took Vassilis a moment to understand what Lewis was talking about but after Lewis walked off and came back grabbing Vassilis’ hand he got the message. Macy waited sitting on the seat counting down the minutes until the next bus rolled by.

The air on the moor had changed, and the mist had disappeared completely the magic seeping away with it. Its absence reopened the hole in Macy’s chest where her own magic usually resided.

Feeling lost and alone she slumped in the seat the flickering reflection of the lights in front of her being the subject of her harsh glare. Lewis returned soon, with Vassilis following and only now did Macy fully comprehend Vassilis’ good looks.

He was tall, like really tall, but not so tall it was creepy. He exuded grandeur and the soft lines in his face hinted to his gentle nature. The way he walked, made him seemed proud and valiant, but not cocky or vain. His lips were pulled into a grimace; pinkish in colour and a flash of his naturally straight teeth could be seen.

“This material is most strange, it itches. What is it?” Vassilis itched the side of his leg looking uncomfortable, in the plain dark denim jeans and white cotton top. Underneath the hem of the jeans Macy could see the toe of his boots peeking out. She smiled at this holding her hand to her mouth. “I doth not find this comical, please answer mine question.”

“Sorry, you just look so awkward.” Macy looked away chewing her lip to stop the laughter bubbling out. Vassilis glared at her, his face dead serious and she took a deep breath stopping the laughter. “It’s denim, and its really not that bad.”

He looked at her again thinking about how to answer and Macy hoped he would say something more normal. “And this?” He pulled at his cotton shirt and it flopped back against his chest.

“It’s cotton, I would be surprised if you were so old cotton wasn’t even discovered.”

“Thee would beest surprised.” Macy’s eyes open wide and she felt Lewis flop down next to her. His mouth too was agape, he tried to close it but it fell open again making him look like a goldfish. “Contrary to popular belief I am not no more brain than stone, I know what cotton is.”

Macy hid a giggle as he repeated the starting phrase of what she had said before. Though the meaning of the brain and stone business was lost on her.  “I mean to asketh what ‘tis?”