26. All of These Places

The episode was over by the time we were back on the boat

Jarelis and I laid together on the bed of our cabin, now back on the boat. We simply stared at each other, touching was too much. Every once in a while, she would brush the hair from my eyes. Her face was empty, expressionless, save the few times she would smile at me or at Fraed and the many she would frown at nothing at all. She wasn't sad, I knew, but lost. I longed for a way to help her, while knowing that this could only be achieved when we had Elke again. I think a large part of her believed that her sister was dead, doubted that any part of this plan would work, truly. I think she thought that she too was no longer living, but was content to haunt this bed with me by her side. I couldn't bear it.

It was two weeks before we docked in Sjarvad.

She was frowning at her shard again when we got off the ship. I swallowed before approaching her, squeezing her shoulder.

She looked up at me.

"Come on. It's time to go." I offered her my hand and she paused a second before taking it. She gave me a squeeze and then we followed Fraed out of the door.

As we waited in line to step off the boat, Fraed ran a hand through his hair.

"Will you have to talk to Viktor?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, I'm afraid we'll catch up later."

I snorted. "And you say he's your friend?"

He smiled slightly. "More like a rash that keeps coming back. I briefly roomed with him at the conservatory. But he has been finessing me free rides ever since."

"And in return?"

"I write most of his term papers."

I smiled. "Sounds fair enough."

"You know, Ifera?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad we aren't killing you any more."

I looked at him, really. Smiled at him, truly. "I'm glad we aren't killing me either."

"And you really think this is going to work?" He asked.

I nodded, determined. "Yes. I am." It had to work. Or else, what was the point of all this?

We stepped off the boat and blended into the crowd in the streets of Sjarvad, concocting our plan of action.

"Ifera! You're back!"

I froze in shock at the sound of the familiar voice, tensed up as I was engulfed by a warmth I knew too well, I choked on the scent of licorice.

He pulled back and smiled at me, his wide eyes now holding a sort of sinister innocence. "I missed you, you know. Don't ever run away from me like that again."