Installment 7 (Explanations)

I awoke to the sound of a herd of elephants running up and down the hall. Normally, this is just a saying, but it honestly sounded like Africa out there. I ran to the door, and peeked out, and honestly, I should not have been surprised that there was indeed a herd of elephants running down the hall from something. But nobody could’ve kept a straight face if they saw exactly what the elephants were running from. They were running from a small tiger, flanked by a herd of housecats.

You heard me. Housecats. Cute, little, tabby striped housecats. I figured I was dreaming, especially when the elephants randomly disappeared. You would think I would be used to strange things happening around here, but I just keep being surprised.

I decided that it would be best to just go ahead and build Blaise’s crib now, because I couldn’t make him sleep in his playpen all the time. I managed to unpack everything before there was a knock on the door. I answered it to find two teenagers, probably a few years older than me, a girl and a guy, obviously not related. The girl was a petite skinny blonde, who introduced herself as Gypsum, and the guy was a tall, average, Asian kid, who introduced himself as Al, which sounded surprisingly normal.

They sat down on the bed and started chatting with me, first with small talk, then with the stuff I really wanted to know. They began to explain the how and why of mutant abilities. Well, Al did, Gypsum just cut in with a smart-alek comment every once in a while. Al explained that there were two factions of mutants, Brain mutants, and Brawn mutants.

He told me that the mutation is either enabling them to use all of their brain’s potential at one time, which causes telekinesis, superhuman knowledge, mind reading, etc. (Brain mutants), or an unlocking of the unused 97% of their genome, which often causes physical mutations, such as spikes, teleportation, and the ability to shapeshift (Brawn mutants).

I asked what each of them were, and Al was a Brain (what a stereotype), but surprisingly, petite little Gypsum told me she was a Brawn. She explained to me that her power was to create precious stones, by pulling the right materials (told to her by Al) from the ground. She explained that she was the benefactor of the underground hotel, and that it was underground not only for the safety of the mutants, but to make it easier for her to form the stones because she was surrounded by the materials she needed.

Her cell-phone started buzzing (how they have service, I don’t know), and they excused themselves, saying they had an appointment with the higher authorities. So they left, and I got the next couple hours to myself to build Blaise’s crib, and wonder to myself which one I was.