Six

So what did one wear for a not-date date and why was she worrying so much. She didn't even know if they were going somewhere. She could invite him in and that meant she could kick him out whenever she wanted. It made total sense but the idea of him being in her home was daunting.

This place was all hers. She had found it after the death of the husband and she had bought it almost immediately. It was a small one-story house that had was perfect for her and she had been ready to escape the memories that came with living in the house she and her husband had shared. It was also her sanctuary, for the days when everything had seemed like they were about to fall apart.It was her safe haven and she had a feeling it wouldn't be anymore if she let him in.Even so, she dressed with care, picking out a nice blue dress that complimented her body and putting her hair up in a bun. She pulled out some dangly earrings, that always made her feel bright, and a matching necklace. It was a nice look but it would also work for just staying home.Oh, who was she kidding? She always wore pajamas at home. She laughed at herself.

 How could her plans have switched so quickly from staying away from the man to being excited about their date? Their non-date date. But she couldn't help it. The man infuriated her to the point of wanting him. Even though she had told herself that she was fine being alone. And she was. She had been alone for about ten years now. Maybe it was time to just test the waters but slowly, not as she had acted on the island. With that in mind, she nodded and took a look in the mirror. 

She wasn't sure what time he would be getting here but she was ready.She looked at her phone to see if she had any messages from Kaia. Her niece was getting back with Trystan and from how excited Kaia had been, everything was going well. She knew she had done the right thing. Even if she wasn't a fan of Trystan.There wasn't a text from Kaia but there was one from an unknown number. She opened it up and read it. Her mood falling instantly.

It was Fallon and he was canceling. Apparently, something had come up and he wasn't sure he would make it. 

Of course. Candace smiled, self-deprecatingly. She felt so stupid. She had been overly excited about this when it really wasn't a big deal. She dropped her phone on her bed and pulled out her earrings. Now she had time to watch the show she had been putting off. In a sort of self defiance, she kept the dress on but took off the necklace and her bra. She pulled the band out of her hair and ruffled her hair up. It fell to her chin, the length she always cut it to. 

Then she made her way to her kitchen.She turned on the music as loud as she could bear and danced around while preparing something to eat.Then she made her way to her living room and dropped on the couch. She turned the TV on also but she didn't really want to watch it so she browsed her phone while eating.She didn't care that she was disappointed. She didn't care at all.

****

Fallon ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. He should have known that he hadn't truly escaped scot-free. But why did it have to come down on him today? He had been looking forward to this and even though he should have been trying to fix everything, he was here, standing at her door. Three hours later than he had expected. The plan had been to take her to a new bistro that had opened up and then take her for a walk at the exclusive Henderl Park. He smiled at her house. It looked just perfect for her. Even the brick-colored exterior seemed remotely like her.

He walked to the doorbell and rang it. He couldn't let the day go to waste no matter what.He waited a bit and the door opened, revealing a different Candace than he had expected. Not just how she looked but her movements. This Candace was as relaxed as he had ever seen her. She was wearing a beautiful one-shoulder blue dress that fell above her knee and her hair was let down. It looked like a cloud around her face. He had to admit that he liked seeing this Candace but she didn't last long.

She became tense as soon as she saw him.

"I thought you had something else to do." She stood, feet apart like she was blocking his view into her house. It intrigued him about what she didn't want him to know.

"I took care of it as quickly as I could." He smiled softly. She stared at him for a second before stepping aside and letting him in. As he walked in, he took in her home, admiring all the pieces that were distinctly her.

"You have a beautiful home." He remarked as she took the lead.

"Thanks, I always wanted my own place to decorate so when I got the chance, it was like a dream. I may have gone a little overboard."

"No, I think it reflects you."She turned to him with a raised eyebrow when they got to the living room.

"Are you claiming that I am a little overboard, myself?" She teased.

"I would never dare," causing her to smile at him.

"Have a seat and forgive the mess. My days off tend to be crazy."He eyed the different containers on the table and the shuffle of papers on the couch.

"No judgments here." He eyed the TV. "Not even on your choice of shows."She gave him a glare.

"Reality TV is entertaining."

"It is very misleading. A lot of it is not even real." He commented.

"Yeah, but it is distracting and sometimes you need it."She walked away from him, leaving him to wonder what she was trying to be distracted from.