Chapter Five - Followers and Likes

It was almost 8pm when Emerald knocked lightly on Ava's door. "Ava? It's me."

No answer. "If you're not already asleep, I was just wondering if there was anything you needed from the grocery store tomorrow. And if you are asleep, then... I guess I'll just pick you up another box of Munchie~Scrunchies and some Yum-Yums for Johnny."

Still no answer.

"Okay. I'm gonna be up for a while, so if you think of anything, just come on in." She sighed as she turned away.

As soon as the door to Emerald's room closed, Leif and Noi appeared from the portal to their space.

"She's going back to the sacred mall?" Noi's eyes lit up at the thought.

"Do you think she'd take us with her?"

"Probably not until we can figure out the human clothing."

"She took me and Rhys on her 'run' this morning, though..." Leif narrowed his eyes. "Maybe we only need human clothes to go to certain places? And they're not taking us to those places on purpose!"

"Do you think they would do that?" Noi sounded doubtful. "I mean, Emerald promised they were going to cooperate from now on..."

"Can we really trust them, though?" Leif slowly backed through the portal, deep in thought.

* * * * *

A few minutes later, Leif started teleport-hopping his way around the apartment. After hiding near the bench outside Ava's room to make sure the coast was clear, he carefully opened the door and entered the younger woman's room, shutting it behind him.

As usual, she was asleep and oblivious to the world around her. The former assassin pulled his knives, not breaking eye contact with her body. But as he drove his knife downward, he found it blocked by another, smaller dagger.

"You! What are you doing here?!" Leif and Noi whispered angrily at the same time, staring each other down.

"I'm here to kill her! What does it look like?!"

"No you aren't, because I'm here to kill her!" Noi shot back.

"You?!" Leif let out a mocking laugh. "That's a good one."

"Hey, what's so funny? I've done it before!"

"You're too weak to do it properly. A human this nice and powerful deserves to be ended by me. Besides, you always hesitate."

"I do not!"

"I thought you liked her!"

"I do! But she also scares me with how powerful she is! Besides, if I kill her, then you all have to acknowledge I'm better than anyone here!"

"Please, you'll never be on my level. I'm trained to do this. You got to be one of Asch's knights because he felt pity!"

"Shut up! I can do this!" Noi raised his dagger, a determined look on his face which quickly faded as he stared down at Ava's sleeping form.

"See?" Leif gave a self-satisfied smirk. "You hesitate."

"Shut up!"

Rhys chose that moment to throw open the door and enter the room. "What are you two doing in here?" he whispered fiercely. "If she wakes up, she's going to kill us!"

"All the more reason for us to kill her first!" Leif sneered back.

"You mean me." Noi wasn't whispering anymore.