Chapter 1: Date Nights

"Idiot! That man is a self obsessed fool. No... Hashtag bloody fool! Who gets up at 1:30 am to go out for a stroll?" An exasperated Kuhu looked around the empty room as she pulled up her jacket and continued to herself, "Apparently, madam Mishti does! Why can't this girl go for cycling in the day time? She is not even working anymore! The whole day she is just sulking and mopping around in this room and now, she is off to cycling! Wow. Just wow. And what am I supposed to tell everyone at home if she is found missing? Wait... why should I be worried? As if I am going to be around! Even I am sneeking out, am I not? Mishti's madness is rubbing off me. Every night I have to be on guard here and she is totally and completely oblivious to my plight. Hm! And why am I going out today? Just because the sorry excuse for a husband that I still have, has 'requested' a secret meeting in the middle of the night! Argh! I hate him and I hate sneeking out at night. Missing out on my beauty sleep is so not cool! You better have a good reason for this Mr. Husband on papers."

Kunal was deep in thoughts and was barely able to hear the soft knock against the window. He unlocked the car and motioned for Kuhu to get in. As soon as she was seated, without a word he pulled away from the Maheshwari mansion. Kuhu was taken aback by this sudden development. She shrieked at him "Hey! Stop the car. I just agreed to take a stroll and talk, not go out with you."

"Well, we are taking a stroll, in a car." He shrugged.

"This is not taking a stroll. You are more like kidnapping me here!"

Kunal just rolled his eyes and said, "Why would anyone kidnap his own wife, Kuhu?"

"Yeah, that's right. But you just did! And I am not your wife!" One look at him and shaking her head in defeat she said, "fine... I am still your wife but only on papers."

"I am not kidnapping you... Kuhu" he said firmly, but gently at the same time.

"Okaaay. But you are still taking me away without my consent."

"Trust me Kuhu, I am not going to harm you."
He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes. When she didn't respond, he asked her "You trust me, right?"

"Wrong."

"W..What?"

"I don't. Not anymore." She said calmly. "I don't trust you."

"Okay..."

"Okay. So stop the car."

"Fine. Then I am kidnapping you."

The car ride was relatively quiet after the initial banter between the two. Kunal seemed a little stressed out and Kuhu didn't think it wise to further upset him. She herself was a little edgy because of this little midnight adventure of theirs. What must have come over Kunal to suddenly ask for her company at this hour? What was it that he couldn't talk to her at home, in the day time? They were still married to each other and for all practical purposes no one was going to object to their meeting. If anything, her parents would probably heave a sigh of relief if she started talking to her husband. Ofcourse, no one knew what the real problem was. Everyone thought that the break up between Abir and Mishti had made these two drift apart. That they were supporting their respective siblings. But she knew better than that. She knew the truth of her failed relationship. She was just bidding for time. Once Mishti gets over her heartbreak, probably she would spill the beans about her and Kunal's impending divorce.

The car skidded to a stop at a secluded corner. Kuhu threw Kunal a questioning glance. He gestured ahead and she took in her surroundings. They were near the lake. Realisation struck her. They were at Abir's favourite camp site. And there, in front of her was Mishti's cycle. Making as little noise as possible and trying to remain in shadows, they tiptoed to the site.