I. tenebris

Wilbur was in the dark. He couldn't see anything. It was so cold. He hugged his body with his frail arms. How long had he been here? He couldn't tell.

It couldn't stay gone long

Suddenly, it all came bsck to him-- the games, the hardships, the deaths. The Hunger Games. They were real and he was in them.

Wilbur took out his protein shake from the cooler. He drank it all on one swig. He was energized for the hard day ahead of him.

The protein shakes were not his favorite— a company called D LITE had taken a liking to him during the preliminary interviews and campaigns for his entering of the games. They'd made a back end deal that was borderline shady, a deal implying that they'd ensure his family was taken care of financially during his reign in the arena. His reign. He hardly had one.

His teammate was... well... not what he'd been expecting. During the promotional period he had hardly spoken to him, save for the on camera moments where he was suddenly all buddy buddy. He was a sharp featured man with a rough voice and a rough temperament to match. He got the public to love him when he started ranting about LGBT rights, even going so far as to turn to Wilbur and say "I am stable enough to admit the man beside me today is fucking beautiful." Wilbur had rolled his eyes into oblivion. All this talk and the guy barely spoke to him at all. The moment the cameras had gone off, he had immediately left Wilbur alone. It was clear he wanted nothing to do with any real bonding moments that they were supposed to be sharing. [A/N: this is NOT a ship fic. i just wanted to utilize a classic line schlatts said about wilbur but in this context!!!! any references to them in a romantic context are purely not my own thinking and just the way they may be perceived by random characters in this fic. respect their privacy and wishes! i wont be saying this again so please be conscious.]

Wilbur had found shelter on the first night. He had heard only one cannon go off. And to that he said "POG" quietly into the night. He had to have no remorse. Rip to him but i'm different Wilbur thought. He was strong.

Wilbur had found it hard to sleep that night because of his nightmares.They ate away at his brain and left him immobile by dawn. He had woke up screaming that morning, which was bad because it could've compromised his position. He now presently sat in his cave, with only a machete and his cooler of sponsored drinks to his name. They had dropped down attatched to a small parachute shortly after the beginning of the game. He was grateful but they kind of tasted bad. That's not what mattered though.

That day he decided to go hunting for other contestants. He collected some berries he assumed were good. Then he kept walking. Soon he came to a clearing, That could be dangerous as he didn't want to be exposed. But across the field, he spotted someone near the far trees. He decided to make his way around the clearing but stay in the trees encircling it. When he got close, the sight he saw horrified him.

Carson had somehow trained a wolf and got one of the younger contestants to work as his slave. His name was Ty. Carson had found him alone and afraid in a bush, Wilbur would learn later. He had taken advantage of his fear and told him that he wouldn't hurt him if he'd work for him. Ty had reluctantly agreed, only thinking of trying to save his life. As for the wolf, well, Wilbur watched him kick it. He then spat in Ty's face and called him a gay slur. Wilbur had seen enough.

He emerged from the shadows, and chucked a protein shake at him. Probably not how they expected him to use it. "HEY FUCKER." He yelled. Carson looked up, a flash a panic in his eyes before they settled into one of hubris. He was confident and that startled Wilbur.

"Now look what we have here." Carson said with a smirk. Wilbur looked down to see Ty, sitting at Carson's feet, fear adorning his features. He needed to save him. So he charged.

Wilbur sliced Carson's abdomen. "Take that, you homophobic animal abusing slave owner." He grabbed his arms and twisted them in front of him, hearing his violent screams, which only encouraged him. A homophobe's pain was a win in Wilbur's book. Maybe Schlatt would be proud. Or maybe schlatt would murder him without remorse for no reason! He'd never know.

TO BE CONTINUED