Chapter 3

“I can’t fucking believe her.”

            “What did she do now?”

            “I don’t even want to talk about it. I’ll tell you after I make sure Dylan gets home safe.”

            She nodded, and changed the direction of the conversation to something else as we waited for the coach bus to pull up.

            When it did, my brothers brown hair stuck out like a sore thumb. It was that kind of brown that was so dark it was almost black, and even though he was only eleven, he had what people consider an ‘emo’ haircut. It completely fit his look and personality, though. He was a troubled kid.

            “Be prepared for a monster when you go home.” I have joked.

            When he grabbed his bags off the bus he turned and gave me the look.

            “What did you do now?” he asked, I simply sighed. He looked at me seriously.

            “Seriously, em. I have to deal with her when I get home. Not you.” I sighed.

            It was nice how I could trust Dylan more than my own mother. It was nice that we could talk openly even if he was only a kid. He was much more mature for his age than people give him credit for him.

            “She wants to send me off to boarding school.” I responded after the bus pulled away and we started walking towards the hill where my house was.

            “And… what’s so bad about that?”

            “It’s the A.B.B.S program.”

            “Sounds interesting.”

            “Do you know what that is, Dylan?”

            “No what?” he slowed his steps, Ashley following behind, listening to every word I say while acting like she wasn’t. I knew she’d have a ton of questions. I also knew she’d wait until Dylan was home before asking questions.

            “It stands for American British Boarding School.” I let it sink in.

            Dylan stopped walking.

            “What do you mean?”

            “She wants to send me to England. Apparently her goal in life is to get rid of her children.” I stopped at the corner of the hill and gave Dylan a huge hug.

            “Dylan I love you, I hope you know that.” He squeezed back. For almost twelve he was only about seven inches shorter than me. He was pretty tall.

            “Actually, I need to talk to you in private. It can wait until tomorrow though.”

            “Tell you what, why don’t you just call me?”

            “Nah it’s more a face to face issue.”

            I turned to Ashley who started walking toward her house after she nodded silently. I guess she knew this was a family matter, and didn’t want to be bothered.

            “What is this about?” I asked sitting on the curb.

            “Okay, I’ll tell you but you have to promise not to be mad at me.”