Chapter 6. In It to Win It

That evening, Maya is driving her Jeep Wrangler to the Monroe's house.

Her phone rings in the cup holder, she quickly glances at it.

Rae

She answers it, putting it on speaker phone. "Hi, Rae"

"Don't "Hi, Rae" me, what the hell is your problem?", Rae asks her sister. "Better yet, don't fight David alone"

"Rae, I have to", Maya tells her.

"Why?", Rae asks her.

"Because I'm your older sister, Rae, that's why. And it's my job as your older sister, to protect you", Maya tells her.

"We've already lost Dad. I can't lose you, either, Maya", Rae tells her, starting to sob.

Maya stops driving for a moment. She starts to get teary-eyed. "Rachelle"

"Does Mom and auntie Claudia know?", Rae asks her.

"No", Maya says.

"Good, because I'm telling them", Rae tells her.

"You always were a taddle-tale", Maya says.

"And still is", Rae says, hanging up.

Maya sighs. She turns around her Jeep Wrangler, driving back home.

~*~*~

At the Spenser Academy Infirmary, after her phone conversation, Rae starts to walk away.

"Rae, where are you off to?", Reid asks, walking after her.

"I'm gonna tell my Mom and auntie Claudia that my sister is gonna duel David", Rae tells him.

Reid gets in front of her. "Look, I don't like it, either. And yes, David is a pain in the ass"

"David threatened her. I know he did. And you guys don't know David Monroe. He doesn't care about who he hurts to get what he wants. He and his mother are pathetic", Rae says, magically flickering off the ceiling lights with her powers.

"Rae", Reid says, looking at the flickering ceiling lights. To calm her down, he kisses her. She kisses him back.

The ceiling lights stops flickering.

Withdrawing from the kiss, Reid and Rae looks at each other.

"You just kissed me", Rae says to him.

"You kissed me first. And I just kissed you. Seems like we're even", Reid says to her. "I wanna come with you"

"Okay", Rae says.

And they both leave.

~*~*~

Driving back home, Maya's Jeep Wrangler suddenly starts to static.

She looks confuses and sees David in the middle of the street. She steps on the brakes, stopping her car.

David pops out of nowhere and jumps atop of her car hood with his dark gray eyes. "I'm surprised you didn't run me over"

Leaping off the car hood, he magically shatters the car windows. Maya opens the driver's car door and gets out.

She looks around and David grips her throat with his hand. She gasps. He slings her into a nearby barn. She smashes into it, falling on the floor.

David steps into the barn. He crouches down to her. She looks at him. "Look at you, Maya, you're pathetic. You can't fight me. No matter how hard you try"