Chapter Two: Impossible Year

Avalon started to follow the three strangers, twisting and turning around the long corridors of St Hopes. They ended up at the caretakers cupboard, and Oscar slid the light switch across to reveal a thumbprint scanner. He put his thumb on and Rose swung the door open. Avalon lingered outside, unsure as to what was happening. The three pupils gestured to her to come into the cupboard. Off in the distance, Avalon could hear a door swinging and some footsteps walking towards the cupboard. She hurried into the cupboard and the door swung shut behind her. Rose pulled a mop towards her and one of the paint buckets lit up green. Suddenly the floor started to drop and strange lights blinded Avalon's vision.

The floor had stopped moving, and the metal doors that had appeared out of nowhere slid open, and there stood an older man in a funky shirt and long hair combed back. Avalon looked down, and her outfit had been changed into some tight black jeans, a black t-shirt and a fitting leather jacket. On her feet were some study black Doc Martins. She looked at the others and saw their outfits had been changed as well. All of them walked forward towards the new man and stood waiting for instructions.

"Team, meet Avalon. Avalon, I'm Frank, your handler."

"So you're the man I've been talking to? You sound so different" Avalon replied

"Ah, must have been using my caretaker voice over the phone. Mrs King was nearby so I couldn't risk her knowing who I am."

"Right.... who's Mrs King? Someone from MI9?"

"Uhm no" he said with a slight laugh.

"She's the deputy headmistress, the one who usually shouts at everyone" Carrie butted in.

"Ah, I know who we're on about now, she moaned at me earlier about the way I looked." spoke Avalon.

"Just ignore her, I like the way you look." Said Oscar, his cheeks flushing a light pink colour.

Avalon looked all around the room, and saw three computers at the end of it. To the right of her, she could see some kind of lab set up and to the left was storage space, She felt strangely at ease down here, and she could actually be herself down here. As she continued looking around the place, she caught the eye of Oscar, and smiled gently at him.

"So, how are you liking our base?" Asked Rose.

"It's beautiful, I'm in love with it!" She exclaimed loudly

"Sorry," she continued "I'm just not used to this. I'm used to working alone..."

As she trailed off her sentence, she could see Oscar was still looking at her, and he smiled kindly back at her. In that smile was more love and friendship than Avalon had ever felt before, and she could feel that she would fit in here.

"Avalon?" Frank broke her out of her trance. "It's time to take your photo for your MI9 ID card. If you could just come down to the computers and stand on in front of the centre one."

As she walked down, the other three followed her and as she stood in front of the computer, Rose sat down and started to type on one of the keyboards.

"Avalon... why is there pictures of you with the Grandmaster?" Carrie asked.

Rose and Oscar looked at her puzzled and Avalon felt smaller with each second that she didn't respond. So much for her secret being kept quiet...