Chapter Four

"Son of a bitch!" Dan yelled, slamming his hands against the steering wheel and accidentally setting the horn off for a split second.

He forcefully shoved open the door and went over to the hood, pushing it up and trying to decipher what was wrong under there. There was a slew of curses falling under his breath as he fiddle with all the parts and checked everything.

"Car trouble?"

Dan could tell it was Phil by the concerned tone and he nodded his head. "This fucking piece of shit breaks down every week and it's the most frustrating thing in the world." He kicked the bumper and slammed the hood down. "Worst part," he said turning to lean against the hood and look at Phil,"Is that there's nothing out of place or anything. It just likes to break down at inconvenient times."

Phil smiled at him. "Used to have a car like that. And it turned out that I had a squirrels hiding their acorns in the nooks and crannies."

Dan snorted. "Squirrels."

"C'mon. I'm sure Louise won't mind giving you a ride back."

Dan sighed and pushed himself off the hood. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course." Phil said giving him that amazingly luminious smile.

"Why are you so nice to me? I mean, nobody is nice to me and you read those paper wads. People don't like my exsistence. Then you offer to help me and are just so fucking kind. I don't get it." Dan blushed, he hadn't meant to say all of that. It was just a habit but he looked down at his feet and refused to meet Phil's eyes.

"Because you looked like you could use a friend. High school is an awful experience without being bullied and I had a teacher who stuck up for me back then. I know how much of a difference it makes to know someone is on your side. And it makes me very concerned that you are so isolated and alone that you can't believe someone can be kind to you."

Phil had moved closer to Dan and was touching his shoulder reassuringly which gave Dan the courage to glance up at him. If he had any self confidence, he would of kissed Phil right then, but he decided it would be a bigger mistake than anything good. He bit his lip and conitinued to absentmindedly nod his head.

"You're really amazing, Phil." Dan whispered.

If he had any self confidence, he would have hugged Phil right then, but he remembered where they were. In a parking lot at McDonald's and looking at each other intensely. He wondered what people must be thinking or if they were even paying attention at all. Could this get him in trouble? With all the rules set up between teachers and students, was this crossing a line just by being nice. Dan took a step back and sat on the edge of his vehicle.

"Dan, you're a good kid. There's life outside of high school." He said. "Now let's go catch Louise befoe she strands both of us here."

"Thanks, but I should call my mom and have her pick me up and figure out the car situaion." Phil nodded and began to walk back towards Louise. "Wait." Dan jogged the short distance back to Phil. "It does make a difference. I woke up happier then I can remember in months."

"I noticed. It's the first time I haven't seen you in black. I'll see you in class, Dan."

"Yeah. See you then." Dan said to Phil's retreating back as he stopped Louise from driving off.

As soon as they were out of sight, he burst into a huge grin and small happy dance. He had noticed his outfit and must have known it was because of him. Did that creep him out? Dan couldn't help but wonder if he was throwing too much at Phil and being too clingy, like saran wrap.

He had already admitted to Phil that he didn't understand how people could be so nice to him and he wondered if Phil could sense his growing crush on him. How could he not? Dan wasn't the king of being subtle. He got lost in his head, he stared at his lips more often then he should, he was always looking him up and down because he was just sculpted to drive his hormones crazy.

Phil didn't seem bothered by it though, if he had noticed. Everything he did seemed so easy, it was like he built without tension or stress. He made walking seem casual, he made standing look effortless. Where Dan would fiddle with his clothes or his hair or constantly wonder if he looked as embarassed and anxious as he felt, Phil was just...just.

He didn't want to overanalyze this or think too much because then he'd see all the bad things and it would ruin his entire conversation with Phil. So instead he called his mum.

Riiiiing. Riiiiing. Riiiiiiing. "Hello?"

"Mum, it's Dan. The care broke down again. I'm at McDonald's can you come get me?"

"Damn thing. Of course, I'll be there in five, love you."

"Love you, too."

He hung up the phone and intended to simply wait in the car for his mum, until he turned around to see five big jocks staring at him with wicked smirks.

"Who was that, faggot? Your boyfriend?"

Dan shook his head, frozen in place as their shadows loomed over him like a curse. "N-no."

"You know we got suspended from the next game because of your boyfriend. Went and told the principal about the paper wads. Are you such a pussy? Can't fight your own battles." One of them shoved Dan back and he just barely caught his balance to not fall. "I think it's time to teach you a lesson, bitch."

Two of the guys grabbed Dan by his arms and back into the McDonald's. He immediately knew where this was going as they dragged him into the bathroom. He tried feebily to push them off but they were taller, stronger, and just more passionate about getting payback to let him get away. Dan tried not to cry as they pushed him into the stall and shoved his head into the toliet, continuously flushing his face.

Dan was flailing, he had a fear of drowning and his wasn't helping. He wanted to scream but it just filled his mouth with water and made him splutter under the water. When they pulled him out he was half shouting, half crying. He kept feeling himself drowning and going under and thats when they punched him.

In his face, in his side, in his leg. Just a continous beating from every angle until Dan gave up and slumped forward, no longer fighting it. They hurled him onto the ground and one spit at him, landing on his already forming black eye.

"If we get suspended from another game, you're dead, faggot."

Dan waited for them to leave before moving. He glanced over in the mirror and knew he couldn't explain this one away to his mom. He ran over to the toilet he'd just been practically drowned in and threw up.