The Dance

I opened my eyes to see him standing there across the room. His blue eyes firmly fixed on me. A slight grin on his face. I looked away thinking he possibly couldn't be looking at me. There must be over 200 people here.

I glanced back to see him slightly chuckle. The music was loud but pleasant. The DJ was playing songs we knew from childhood. People danced in their gowns and suits as if they didn't have a care in the world. White teeth flashed, diamonds glittered, cologne and perfume mingled in the air.

I looked up again to see him talking to a friend. I couldn't tear my eyes away from his pink lips as his licked them. He smiled brightly as if his friend was saying something most interesting.

His long fingers gripped a small clear glass of brown liquor. He took a sip and looked over at me.

I quickly ducked away. How much I just wanted to go over there and ask him to dance.

I grabbed a glass of champagne from a nearby table and chugged the whole thing.

Suddenly a velvety smooth voice floated to my ears.
I froze as I knew that voice. The sound of it pierced me to my very core. I shivered as I slowly turned around.

There he was. A head taller than me. His blue eyes sparkled with a hint of mischief.

"Would you like to dance?" He spoke respectfully and held out his hand.

I couldn't speak. I just nodded and took his warm hand. We floated to the dance floor.

He took me into his arms like he had every right to. I let him because it's what I wanted.

I laid my head on his warm broad chest and closed my eyes. We swayed to the music. I could hear his heart beat.

He lifted my chin to look into my eyes. He smiled brightly and tenderly.

I melted into him. It's what I wanted. I snuggled closer enjoying the warmth.

Then he started to purr. I stepped back wondering what was happening.

He meowed at me the sweetest softest meow.

I opened eyes to my cat snuggling my neck and purring loudly. My alarm was going off playing 90s music.

My love was gone and I was disappointed. The moment with him was gone.

I snuggled my cat and fell back to sleep.