A Quiet Place

She slung her oversized beach bag over her shoulder and pushed the cherry red sunglasses up onto her nose. The first day of Summer was finally upon them.

Quietly she crept out of the house making sure not to wake anyone. The dog looked sleepily up at her. She placed a finger to her lips as if the dog could understand to keep quiet. Carefully she closed the door and tiptoed off the wooden porch.

Her shoes hit the gravel walkway and she ran towards the privacy trees that shielded the house from the road. It was a bright and sunny day. The deep blue sky seemed to match her cheery mood. A gentle breeze swept through as she skipped down the dirt lane. Looking around she secretly diverted off the path and into the trees.

Walking a little way in she came to the mouth of the cave. It was covered with vines and green moss growing on the outside. The mouth of the cave did not look inviting. Still, she knew what lay on the other side. She ducked down to fit in the cave and blindly felt her way through. Her fingers stretched out on either side of the damp slimy walls she felt the familiar bumps and jagged edges. The worn dirt path crunched underneath her sandals. Finally, a peep of light met her eyes. She was almost out.

Once on the other side, she took a deep breath of fresh air. Excitement ran through her as the bright blue lake peacefully lay before. The water was so clear she could see straight to the bottom of the shallow lake. The surface of the water seemed to shimmer and beckon her to come  play. She squealed and began to undress to her swimsuit.

She laid down a colorful beach towel, set up her radio, and ran towards the sandy shore of the lake. She waded into the middle of the lake which came to her waist. Floating on her back she let the stress of the long winter melt away.

"Ahhhh," She let out a long sigh.

The Sun's bright rays warmed her body. She opened her eyes and admired the colorful flowers and deep emerald trees that lined her hidden oasis. Her submerged ears drowned out the outside noise. Nothing but peace filled her soul.

She stood up and smoothed back her short curly hair.

"This is the life!" She splashed around laughing.

Since discovering this place two years ago it was her special spot. As far as she could tell no one else had been there. She walked to her towel and pulled out a sandwich. Her heart filled with cheer as she couldn't help but giggle to herself. She lay back on to the towel and closed her eyes. This place was so different than the chaos that awaited her back at home. Sadness filled her heart as she thought of her father's struggle every morning. She and her brother had to help him with everyday activities. Since his accident, he hadn't been able to work the farm, and life was increasingly difficult. She turned over and tears flowed from her eyes. All she wanted was for things to be the way they used to be. She missed her mom most of all.

She sat up and hugged her knees keeping her eyes fixed on the serene lake in front of her. She let out a deep sigh and noticed the sun getting higher in the sky. She began to pack up her things and get dressed.

Walking away she turned back.

"I will see you tomorrow!" She shouted blowing a kiss.

With that, she headed back into the cave out into the real world.