Part 1

All went as planned. Eren sealed the hole in the wall, we killed all the titans that were left roaming around, and we regained a bit of land. What happened next was exactly what I was terrified of.
A few days after the whole incident, I was enlisted to go around the city, search for bodies, and note who and how many people were killed. As I approached a certain, slightly familiar corpse, my heart stopped.
"J-Jean? Is that you?" I whispered softly.
I barely recognized him. The right half of his face was gone, leaving flesh and bone exposed. The entire upper right side of his body was gone, his ribs poking out from the hole in his side. His normally shining eyes were replaced with one dead, lifeless eye.
I-I hadn't seen him for the days that followed that incident, but I never expected this to happen.
"Cadet, do you know his name?" A voice came from behind me.
I knew I had to tell her. "Je-Jean Kirschtein" I exclaimed, trying to keep myself from crying.
"It's good that we know his name," she said, "he sacrificed himself for humanity, you know."
As she walked off, I had to run away. I'm sorry Jean, I can't do it. I can't be strong without you. I-I liked you. A lot. And now that you're gone, how can I just continue like normal?
As I thought this, I swear I could feel a presence comforting me.