How I Fainted (2014)

8th of November, 2014, the all-day rehearsal for Xanadu. I had just got in late. I went backstage to the green room to change into my Greek chorus costume and asked Sasha to put the make-up on me. It was the first time in my life I was ever wearing make-up, unfortunately, we didn’t finish putting the make-up on me. Just in middle of putting the eyeliner, I started to feel faint and dizzy. Everything I saw was bright and flashy, and my hearing wasn’t crystal clear. I told Sasha to stop and that I needed my water bottle, but before I could make it to the door, I collapsed.

I've fainted so many times in my life, that I've lost count. The first time happened when I was about 5. I was wearing a tight belt that kinda stopped my blood flow.

For a few seconds, I was dreaming (I feel like it was with my eyes opened), then I woke up. The first thing I saw when I woke up was the ceiling, then I saw my friend Sasha wearing her prop glasses and cap, then I think it was some of the others who were in the room. I got up as if nothing happened and went to get my water bottle, but then I was looking at the ceiling again, then Sasha again, then everyone else, though I can’t remember clearly since I had lost and regained consciousness twice in a row. I got up again with the help of the Drama teacher, Ms. Hovland. She went with me to get my water bottle, but on the way, I was walking really dizzily and layed down on the floor. Ms. Hovland had brought me a Snickers bar and I my water bottle as well. After that, I didn’t do any singing or dancing for like 5-10 minutes.

My friend Cameron, who was with me during my make-up session, told me that I could be cursed. 2 years ago, there was a play in the school called Circus Olympus. During backstage, a guy named Cole (I think that was his name) was putting on hair spray and passed out from the fumes of it. The part I find scary about this story is that he was playing the role of Hermes, the Messenger of the Gods. It scares me because I’m Hermes! But of course, there are no such things as curses. I hope...

The next day, I skipped my classes so I can take it easy, and go see my doctor (Now you know why I didn't come to school on Saturday), yet I still went to the after school rehearsal because I am very dedicated. I told her everything that happened. She gave me a blood test. When I got the results, both me and my dad were surprised, mostly my dad. The doctor said I was perfectly fine, the only problem was I had a lack of protein. Personally, that kinda makes sense. She gave me a speech on proteins and eating healthy, and I’ve already heard the speech about eating from my parents and my family, especially my grandma, who I visit for lunch almost every week.

“Haytham, why don’t you eat some of this rice, or some of this other stuff?”

“Grandma! I don’t like to eat that stuff!”

So now I have to take medicine for a month that smells and tastes like concentrated orange, even though the box says it contains honey and malt. Yuck! Bleugh!