Prologue - Lullabies & Betrayal

"For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first."
-Suzanne Collins (from Hunger Games)

•~•

The night was clear, the crickets chirped as if to show their appreciation of the beautiful stars. The peace was disrupted by loud footsteps before a person rushed out from it the undergrowth. She soon tripped over a small root sticking slightly out of the ground. The woman muttered a small curse before getting up and quickened her pace. After a few minutes, the person slowed down as she spotted a house
up ahead.

She stopped before taking a running leap and jumping up to the small window on the second floor of the house. She breathed a sigh of relief as she landed in the room while a little girl on her bed stared at the sweating lady, who had dirt on her odd navy-blue dress and bare feet for a minute before speaking.

"Why are you so dirty and sweaty, Destiny..? And what is that you're wearing?"

The woman, Destiny, had looked down at her dress and noticed all the dirt stains that she had acquired from tripping while running. She looked back up at the girl and put on a sheepish smile and muttered something like, "I forgot to change out of my work clothes." She snapped her fingers, disappearing and reappearing wearing a loose-fitting purple tee and rolled-up white sweatpants. She struck a pose saying "Tada!" causing the girl to laugh at her silly antics.

Destiny froze for a second as a blue-haired white demon-looking male stepped into the room saying "Alright Sweetie, it's time for bed-" He froze seeing the woman who decided to teleport in front of him and grab his arm. "How have you been, Icicle?" the woman said then teleported both of them in front of the little girl.

"You know her, Daddy..?" the little girl asked her father, as Destiny sat on her bed. "Yes... Unfortunately." The man replied in an exasperated tone. He smirked when the woman showed an annoyed expression as his words. "Anyways, based on how my daughter knows your name... How long had you been visiting her, Destiny?" The man asked the "madwoman" who decided to float in the air with her tails swaying in the nonexistent air behind her every so often.

"Oh! Maybe for five years now.." Destiny said casually while the man, Icicle (I'm calling him that since I don't want to keep saying "male" or "man" all the time. And no, that isn't his real name, Icicle is a nickname that Destiny uses to annoy him.), looked up at her in shock. "You've been visiting my daughter since she was born?!" Icicle almost shouted. "More or less," Destiny replied. "Why...? Exactly?" He asked her.

"Cuz~" Destiny drawled as she picked up the little girl. "Who wouldn't want to see this adorable little pup?!" She exclaimed, while lightly swinging the girl, who was giggling.

She set the girl down on her bed and asked, "Hey little wolf, wanna hear a story about your bloodline..?" Before the girl could respond, her father immediately said, "No, Destiny.", with an unreadable expression on his face.

Destiny faked a sad face since she knew Icicle had a right to deny her storytelling. After all, if he didn't, she'd have to change the entire story to not scare the girl. "Fine~! Sheesh. How about a lullaby, party pooper?" She asked him. He simply nodded and was about to walk out of the room before Destiny spoke up. "I suggest you stay, Icicle. It is a very sacred song, especially for Honō..." She almost sounded... sorrowful.