Chapter 2 - Coincidence?

"The world is so unpredictable. Things happen suddenly, unexpectedly. We want to feel we are in control of our own existence. In some ways, we are, in some ways we're not. We are ruled by the forces of chance and coincidence."
- Paul Auster, BrainyQuote.com

•~•

"You're dismissed," Mr. Val said after hearing the bell ring. The students immediately got out of their seats and grabbed their bags. "Come on Taiyō! I'm going to introduce you to my friends." Fuko said, grabbing the other girl's hand, and pulled her in the direction of the courtyard.

•~•

"Hey, guys!" Fuko said, still pulling Taiyō with her. "Hey, Fuko. Who's that behind you?" Kaze, another best friend of Fuko's, asked. "This is Taiyō Hotaru, a new foreign exchange student, Gifted with the power of illusions!" Fuko explained excitedly. Kusa stared at Taiyō for a while until Fuko spoke up, "Is something wrong, Kusa?"

"Is it just me? Or do you guys notice how similar Taiyō and Fuko look..?" Kusa replied. "Yeah... The only difference is the eye color, but they even have the same eye-ring pupil shade!" Ame blurted out after scrutinizing the two girls. "It just must be a coincidence, guys," Fuko said. "A big coincidence..." She thought.

"Oh, what's your phone number, Taiyō? So you message me if you need help with anything." Fuko asked, looking over her shoulder at the other girl. "Hm..? I don't have a phone..." Taiyō said after a moment. "Why not..?" Fuko asked. "... My parents and I don't like technology that much." Taiyō murmured. "Oh okay!" Fuko said and turned back her friends.

Taiyō stared at the shining purple necklace that Fuko wore for a few minutes before looking away. Her hand curled in a fist behind her back, before loosening. "Gain her trust first..." She thought.

•~•

"Hey, Fuko?" Kaze asked. "What is it Kaze?" Fuko asked, turning to face him. "Don't you think that Taiyō is a bit strange..?" Kaze inquired. "What do you mean..?" Fuko asked tilting her head.

"It's been a few weeks since she enrolled here, yet she's still reserved as she was in the beginning," Kaze said as Fuko looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "But I've always seen her talking to everyone all the time." She replied after a few minutes. "She always acts like that whenever you're around, but once you leave, she goes back to being reserved," Kaze explained.

"Hmm... That is weird..." Fuko mumbled. "Hey, Fuko!" Taiyō said as she came into the classroom as Kaze left for his class. "Oh hey, Taiyō," Fuko said, still thinking over what Kaze had told her about Taiyō.

"Is it the chick imprint thing... No... I've seen her comfortable around the principal when she didn't notice me..." Fuko kept thinking about what could be the reason for Taiyō's strange reserved behavior.

Taiyō flicked Fuko's forehead and said, "Ms. Aiko just came in." Fuko swallowed back her complaint, knowing full well that Ms. Aiko hated students who didn't pay attention to her teaching. "Alright, idiots, flip to page 467 in your geometry textbook." Ms. Aiko said in a loud and tired voice as she walked into the classroom.

(I know no teacher like this, but I found it funny so I decided to incorporate it in this story for comedic effect.)