Chapter 3 - What Was Hidden, What Is Found

"You can keep as quiet as you like, but one of these days somebody is going to find you"
- Haruki Murakami, goodreads.com

•~•

"Did you honestly think you could hide forever... Subject 45-81?"

Taiyō woke up gasping, feverishly muttering, "I still have time..." over and over again.

"Right..?"

•~•

"Hey, Fuko..."  Taiyō murmured wearily. "You okay, Taiyō? You sound tired..." Fuko inquired, concerned. "I'm fine... I just feel more tired than usual today..." Taiyō said, waving a hand as if nothing was wrong. Fuko stared at Taiyō until Mrs. Vío called for her, so she looked away and got up.

"I need you to show as much firepower you can manage, but don't overdo it that it'll trigger an episode like last time..." Mrs. Vío said as soon as Fuko was a few paces away from her. She nodded and held out her palms in front of her and closed her eyes.

A small blue flame materialized and slowly swelled until it was the thickness of her arm, before starting to flicker. She furrowed her brows and frowned as Mrs. Vío walked towards her. "That's enough, Ms. Honoka..." Mrs. Vío mumbled.

Fuko let go of the flame and it dissipated. She let out a sigh of relief in her heart as Mrs. Vío began to lecture her. After a few minutes, she calmed down a bit and turned to Taiyo.

"Ms. Hotaru, please bring Ms. Honoka to the Nurses' Office and tell them she decided to overexert herself a little too much." Mrs. Vío said, exasperated as she rubbed her temples. Taiyo nodded, although a bit confused about what happened.

•~•

"Your vitals seem okay, your body is just feeling a bit lethargic from the overexertion of your magic." the nurse said after the diagnosis. "All you need is some rest... You'll be excused from any classes you miss until you wake up."

When the nurse left to focus on other matters, Taiyō turned to Fuko and asked, "Fuko... What exactly is going on..? Why did you have to go here when you're just a bit tired from using a little magic..?"

Fuko stared at Taiyō for a minute before sighing and spoke. "Well since you're new, I guess you should know.." "Know what?" Taiyō asked, feeling a bit apprehensive.

"My control over fire is weak... Even for a Honō, it's odd. The more I use it, the more it hurts. Based on what everyone says, blue fire is uncommon since most Honō's possess orange flames. They say my core must have defected while I was a fetus and made my body weaker, therefore my fire is blue. Or I either inherited from my father who also had the blue flames... but he didn't have episodes like me..." Fuko said while Taiyō's face grew darker.

When she finished talking, she looked over at Taiyō and asked, "Is something the matter, Taiyō?" "Blue fire is weak..? Those lunatics messed up the Honō's history completely!" Taiyo almost shouted, angry.

"What do you mean..? And how do you know this is true..?" Fuko asked, raising an eyebrow. "Because I have a book about it in my bag." Taiyō said, as she picked up her backpack and looked through it before pulling out and an old book that had frayed ends at the corners of the cover, with the title 'Honō's Legacy and History'. "Give it back when you're done," Taiyo said as she placed the book besides Fuko and left to go back to class.