The Last Promise

Wen Lanwan adjusted the cloth that covered his ruined eyes and smiled as he faced the north-west, where the newly crowned Emperor, Bei Feng, should be: "So, this is how it will be, Bei Feng."

A breeze picked up somewhere from the north, and Lanwan laughed in his heart: "Look! Even the heavens whispers your name." (Bei-North; Feng-Wind)

The lack of response did not disheartened Wen Lanwan at all. He sighed and flicked his sleeves behind him, and faced the wind as if he could see the distant wild view before him. He basked in the cool caress of the gentle wind and sorted out the near chaotic thoughts in his head. His hair floated behind him, a contrast to his scholarly white outfit.

"Bei Feng, ah, Bei Feng, I have completed every oath I have sworn to you," Wen Lanwan spoke as he imagined the indifferent expression on Bei Feng's face. He curled the corners of his lips as he guessed the thoughts that might have ran through Bei Feng's head upon hearing the start of his speech. "I have not come here to ask you for favors in return, but I have another promise for you."

He tilted his head toward north-west again, towards Bei Feng, and imagined the questioning gaze of the tall, proud man in yellow brocade with dragon embroidery. His dark hair not wildly waving despite the wind.

"To support your role as the wise ruler, I will hereby cease to interfere in Imperial matters."

A brief silence before Lanwan continued: "And to support your role as a man of dignity and as a son of heaven, I will hereby cease contact with you."

He smiled at the empty spot where he had imagined Bei Feng would stand with thunderous expression.

He was too afraid of holding this conversation with the actual, currently powerful figure, not because of the power he holds, but because of the influences that Bei Feng had over his heart.

"With this, I promise I will not interfere and sway your ability to reign with fair hand and justice."

Wen Lanwan blindly gazed at north-west, where the Imperial Palace would be seen if he could see, one last time and left for the land beyond the seas.