The Exchange

The two weeks passed in no time and it seemed that before the blink of an eye the chopper was landing ready to pick up the jack and his family. They all got on the chopper and flew two hours to the Alaskan state airport. From there they headed to Tennessee.

On their private jet they were surprised to find their good friend Milton, who had been the leading scientist for the family experiment.

"Milton! Hey man, I've missed you!" Jack gave Milton a hug, " man, I've got someone to introduce to you." Kim handed him Mim.

"Milton, I'd like you to meet our Mim." Jack showed Milton Mim, "she's a cutie, isn't she?" Jack beamed with pride.

Milton smiled," wow jack. She is adorable. You did good Kim," he winked at her," may I hold her?"

Jack reluctantly handed over his baby girl. He hated not being able to hold her.

"Who a cute little Mim, Who is?" Milton said playfully as he tickled mims stomach. Mim giggled and grabbed at miltons fingers.

"She's so cute" jack looked at Kim, but he saw she was crying, "hey now, baby what's wrong?" He gathered her into his arms

"She-she's gonna be gone in a matter of hours. For years!" She cried into his chest, " and we don't even know where!"

"Ah yes, about that, "Milton interjected and handed the child back to its mother," we must discuss family arrangements. Please, sit." He said, gesturing to the couches beside them. Milton sat on one couch and jack and Kim sat on one across from him.

" right now we are headed to a town called Chattanooga, it's in Tennessee. There at the airport we will be escorted to a small room where Mim's guardian family will be waiting. Mim will be staying with the Chambers family, her main guardian is Jordan chambers, a 15 year old girl. She is very responsible person and is an honor student at a local private academy there. She is the perfect match for Mim-"

"Wait...a 15 year old?" Kim interjected, "I thought Mim would be raised by adults!"

" well, Kim, you yourself are only 15. We wanted the age of her guardian and your age to be the same."

"Oh...yea." Kim looked down, her cheeks burning with embarrassment. Mim looked up at her mother, grabbing at Kim's hair. Kim did not like the idea of another 15 year old raising her precious girl. It did not seem right for Mim to be with anyone other than herself.

"The Chambers family will take good care of Mim, I swear. Jordan's mother will homeschool Mim until she reaches 15 in developmental years and then she will be enrolled as a sophomore at Jordan's private high school. Everything is planned out. I promise Mim will be in the best care she could be in." Milton finished.

Jack look at his beautiful girlfriend cradling their precious daughter. He wished they could stay this way, one family all together. The thought of losing Mim, even for two years, made him want to cry. He couldn't cry, he had to stay strong for Kim. He saw tears slip from Kim's eyes onto Mim's blanket. He placed his arm around Kim.

"Milton, you're sure this is a good family? One that will raise her right?" He asked.

"100% positive."

"And we can see her again in two years?"

"Well, yes. But only two weeks are mandatory. After that, It is Mim's choice."

Jack took a deep breath," okay, Kim," he pulled her close, "we can do this."

12 hours later they landed at the Chattanooga airport.

"We're here jack. I don't wanna be here." Kim choked up

"Kim..." Jack sighed, choking up himself

Milton got up," I'll leave you all alone for a minute"

As soon as he left Kim burst into tears.

"I-I can't give up my baby, jack. I can't!" She sobbed

Jack got up and brought her into his arms, careful not to squish Mim.

"Kim, it's gonna be alright," he said as tears fell from his eyes, everything will work out. I swear, in two years we will be seniors and about to graduate. In two years we can be a real family, I promise. I swear, before you know it mim will be 15 and spending two whole weeks with us. It'll be great."

"But what-what about the two years we have to wait?" Kim looked into his eyes.

"We will be together. Just because she isn't with us doesn't mean we aren't a family. Family has no boundaries, we are always connected. From here-" he gestured to his own heart, "to here" he placed his hand on Kim's heart, "and to here." He poked mim in the chest which made her giggle.

Kim laughed, drying her tears. Jack smiled at them, "I love you. Both of you. But especially you" he kissed Kim, "you have a wonderful mommy, little mim. And in two years you'll come back to us and we will be a wonderful family. Together."

"No matter how far away you are, mim, we will always, always be with you and we will always love you," Kim kissed the little one on the forehead, "now come on, jack, let's go meet Mim's Guardians"

They followed Milton from the pane into a small room. Kim cradled the baby, "shh shh, little Mim, everything will be okay."

Jack stood over them protectively, putting his arms around Kim from behind.

"Alright," Milton said, Ill go get Jordan and her family." He left. Kim bit back tears.

"Jack?"

"Yes baby?" he put his head on her shoulder, holding her close.

"Promise me that we will never separate? Promise that we will always be a family?" she turned her head to look at him.

Jack stared into her eyes," I promise on my life that we will ALWAYS be a family. Forever and always." He kissed her softly.

"Alright lovebirds, break it up, "Milton interjected," They're right outside!"

Milton came in, followed by a tall brown haired girl who looked their age, her mother and father, and a huge boy they assumed as Jordan's brother.

''Kim, Jack, this is Jordan and her family," Milton introduced them.

"Hello Jordan, I'm Jack, Mim's father" jack shook her hand/

"Oh so that's what you decided to name her," Jordan smiled, "Mim. That's a really nice name. Unique"

' Yes, that's what we were aiming for," Kim smirked.

Jack gave her a look that meant 'be nice'

"Uh, this is my girlfriend and Mim's mom, Kim" Jack said nervously, trying to ease the tension.

"Its nice to meet you," Jordan smiled," thank you so much for giving me this opportunity!"

"Well, shall we do this?" Milton qued and handed Jordan and jack some paperwork. Jordan quickly signed hers and jack soon followed.

"The terms are clear, no contact for two years from the biological parents but the guardians are required to send regular pictures and updates of how Mim is doing to them. We will be monitoring mim's developmental progress, if our calculations are correct; we have a genius in ALL areas on our hands. Are you all ready for the exchange?"

"Yes! Absolutely" Jordan said excitedly

"And the parents?"

Jack nodded, eyes glistening with tears. He kissed his baby goodbye.

"Goodbye little Mim, I'll see you when you aren't so little anymore..." he looked up at Kim and said, "its time."

Kim kissed her baby, "I love you," she whispered and handed Mim to Jack. Jack reluctantly walked over to Jordan

"Take good care of my baby for me, Okay? He told Jordan

"I will. I will do anything for her. I promise." Jordan responded.

Jack handed Mim to Jordan and the Chambers left. As soon as they were gone Kim collapsed into jacks arms and together they sobbed, For they could not bear the pain of saying goodbye to their baby.