Chapter One

~ flashback ~

"It's all your fault." The bitter tone makes blood rush to your face, the fact you had been accused in front of your best friend making you feel higher embarrassed.

"Is it?" Mingi turns to look at you in shock, his eyes wide in disbelief.

After all that had been going on recently, the last thing you thought would happen was for you to be blackmailed into this situation. It wasn't your fault and you were adamant on that. You were backed into a corner so to speak.

"I-i had no choice." You begin to tremble. The lump formed in your throat restricting the volume of your voice to just above a whisper.

"How? Why?" Mingi utters in confusion as he retracts into his mind while it goes into overdrive.

"Because (Y/N) here doesn't really value your friendship as much as you thought she did." San evily smirks at you, taking great pleasure in watching as the world seemingly crumbles down around you.

"Mingi i-"

"Stop." Mingi harshly interrupts you, his expression solumn and eyes full of disappointment. "I think you should go." He continues after a moment of unbearable silence.

Your head hangs low as you try to swallow your emotions, nodding lightly before grabbing your coat and walking away.

~

You didn't put up a fight or try to defend yourself that day and every time you think back on that time you feel another piece of your heart break off. You had been friends with all the members of Ateez, knowing them for years before their debut. And you're not really sure how or why it happened, but one day San turned against you and from then on made it his mission to break your friendship with the group. It was just before they released their first song and, looking back, you assume it was because he wanted everyone to focus on their careers and not have any distractions. But deep down you knew it was more personal. The day you walked away you had been deleted from their lives. Knowing fully well that you had to move on from them and focus on yourself.

You let San win, you let Mingi go without a fight, and worst of all, you destroyed everything you and Mingi had built.

You welled up with tears as you stood in front of the shop window and gazed at the giant poster advertising their upcoming show. You had been following the group since their debut, their success in just a year ashonishing and you couldn't be more proud. You knew they deserved it. You just wished you could be there to support them.

You couldn't stop yourself from the sadness that bubbles up inside of you as your eyes focus onto Mingi's face. He looks so happy in the picture, he is quite literally gleaming with joy and that only makes you feel worse.

You let out a little sigh, your shoulders slumping and your posture becoming deflated as you finally turn and continue walking in the direction of your university buildings.

Just as Mingi and the rest of the guys had progressed in the last year, so had you. After re-evaluating what your options were, you decided to go to uni and study as hard as you could to be able to do your dream job. And that's exactly where you were heading now. You enjoy your walk to class through the busy heart of the city everyday. There is always something happening, always something new going on and it creates this feeling of excitement inside you.

As you turn into a side street you are brought out of your thoughts when you encounter a sudden large group of people excitedly shouting and taking pictures as they crowd around each other on the opposite side of the street. It's mainly girls, seemingly around your age who are making the biggest commotion and you can't help but wonder who could possibly be catching their attention.