Chapter 1

Tom Evans shifted his weight to the far side of the pod. He strained to see the doctor, but he eventually gave up and looked down at the pod. It was bright white and cold to the touch. There were two words labeled across the front: Palmono Technologies. He started to relax, but he heard movement in the room and sat straight up.

"There is nothing to worry about."

Dr. Palmono sat down next to Tom, tinkering with the panel on the side of the pod.

"You are about to make history," Dr. Palmono said with a grin. "It's not easy. I appreciate you doing this, and I promise you that all will be fine."

Tom slowly laid back down, breathing deeply.

Suddenly, one of Dr. Palmono's assistants speedily walked towards him and whispered something in his ear.

"Your sister is here, she wants to see you," Dr. Palmono said. "I'll let her in."

A few moments later, Tom's sister, Alisha, ran towards the pod and smirked.

"Well, you look relaxed," Alisha snickered.

"Wow, you can make a joke," Tom laughed.

Alisha playfully punched Tom in the shoulder. He winced. Alisha's expression suddenly became somber.

"I just.. I can't believe you are really doing this. I mean, are you sure?" Alisha asked.

"Look who's being all sentimental."

"Tom, I'm serious."

Dr. Palmono intervened. "You can visit all you want."

"That totally makes me feel better," Alisha said sarcastically.

Dr. Palmono stood up from the stool and faced both of them.

"The pod is ready when you are, Tom."

Alisha reached into the pod and hugged Tom tightly. When she rose again, her face was streaked with tears.

"See you soon," she said with a weak smile. Alisha rushed out of the room.

"Are you ready?" Dr. Palmono asked.

"Yes."

The assistant hurried over and slid a needle into Tom's left arm. Meanwhile, Dr. Palmono swept to the right side of the pod and faced the panel. He grinned at Tom and pressed a green button. Instantly, the pod shuddered and enclosed Tom, who slowly became limp. The entire panel lit green, and Dr. Palmono stood up.

"See you soon, Tom."