Chapter 3

The panel came to life, a brilliant light that glowed in the darkness of the empty, pitch-black room. Dust and bits of rock covered the white surface of the bent pod, the faded words Palmono Technologies barely visible on the front. The pod shuddered and buzzed, creaking as the glass forced its way open. Tom Evans lay there, his body feeble and cold, against the tiled wall of the once pristine office. The panel changed color, turning a bright white, and read:

Name: Tom Evans

Date of birth: May 6th, 2025

Age: 19

Blood type: O Positive

Status: Awake

Years: 10

Out of the silence, a deep sigh sounded in the dark pod. Tom opened his eyes, straining to see past the glass, and he gasped. He slipped down the pod and circled around the room. Massive slabs of rock and particulates of dust engulfed the entirety of the office, but Tom saw an ample opening near the door. He pushed past some of the lighter rocks, but he found himself blocked halfway from the pod to the door by a large piece of the ceiling. Tom glanced up and saw that most of the roof was gone; instead, he saw a dim sky and an ominous fog that masked the sun. Tom slowly pushed his way in between the huge rock and the wall, but he cut himself on one of the corners, so he pulled himself back out. He looked again towards the ceiling, and then towards the slab. Placing both hands on the rough surface, Tom strained to climb up the rock. He pushed his body up and out onto the roof with difficulty, gasping as he finally managed to stand.

The front of the building was in ruins, with delicate bricks scattered along the cracked sidewalk. Most of the road was gone, instead replaced with weeds and vegetation that failed to grow properly. Tom shifted his sight towards the end of the way, where he saw collapsed buildings that still managed to hold themselves up by a thread. He sat down again and forced himself through the hole in the ceiling, landing back down on the floor with a thump. Tom walked towards the boulder again, and this time he took a deep breath before squeezing through the tight space. His arm was covered in blood, and it started to sting. Still, he kept forcing himself through until he hit the ground on the other side of the rock, banging his head on the floor and causing the room to shake with movement. Tom carefully stood up, blood dripping down onto his jeans. He gazed out the hall.

The stairs were somewhat intact, except that there were glass and rubble that littered the floor, and the steps were slanted at an extreme angle. He proceeded cautiously, making his way down the dusty stairs with his hand on the cold rail until he reached the waiting room. The front doors were shattered, both of which were lying on the ground. Tom stepped out onto the tall grass, and he looked around in disbelief. Looking down at the sidewalk, he caught the distinct shape of a decaying, crushed skull, and he fell to his knees. Too much. Tom screamed in disgust and confusion, the world slowly starting to fade away until he saw nothing.