Chapter 2

The harsh sound of the alarm goes off in intervals. Its sound echoing inside my drowsy-driven head. I slap the top button, and the disturbing noise dulls out. I roll onto my back, taking in the hazy view of the popcorn ceiling looming over me. Such an ugly and distasteful choice of design.

"Mornin." With the will remaining in my tired bones, I roll off the side of the bed, planting my feet into my All-Might night slippers. The room feels awfully frigid against my pale skin, making me shiver. A pressure builds in my abdomen, so I quickly rise to my feet. I walk rushily out the door making it to the bathroom on time before the pressure got any worse.

After I relieved myself, the person staring at me through the mirror gazes with exhaustion buried deep into his emerald eyes. He looks tired, and if I were him, I would want to go curl up in the warmth of his blankets and sleep for another few hours. Now that sounds delectable. A soft rapping at the door pulls me away from the reflection.

"Izuku, breakfast is downstairs. Be sure to eat before you leave." Her voice kindles more life into my aching bones. Just her voice alone is better than a cup of coffee. The coffee alone is strong and bitter, but her fluttery tone this early makes it overly sweet in flavor.

"I'll be down in just a second!" I ruffle with my hair, messing around in the nest of curls, trying to straighten it up to be presentable. The more I try to tame it, the more it grows disheveled and wild.

My stomach growls intensely, and I only chuckle lowly. Food is only a jump, hop, and skip away from this bathroom. On a more serious note, it is rare for her to cook breakfast so early in the morning. I wonder if she'll join me this morning before we both have to leave. I take my time finishing up all of my personal needs in the bathroom. Satisfied with the end result, I leave to go downstairs for food. A rich scent gathers into the air, luring me to the wooden table.

"I hope you don't mind dear, I haven't been shopping lately."

"This is just fine, plus eggs are great to eat in the mornings."

"Don't forget to eat the leftover rice."

"From Saturday's dinner?"

"Yes, it tasted fine to me, so it's okay to eat for now. Don't be so picky with your food. I know your palette is more refined than you mother's cooking, but give this old lady some slack." I can feel her radiant energy bounce around the room like crazy. She is in high spirits today.

I sit down at the table, too hungry to really care how old the food may be or her energy. I can always have lunch at the cafe if I get hungry anyways. The food on my plate radiates off puffs of heat, making my stomach growl.

"I got a letter." My eyes furrow at the interjection. I look up with confusion lacing into my eyes. What is she going on about? Is there a letter for me and from whom?

"For me, but what for?" She cautiously sits across from me. She doesn't touch her food. However, in her hands sits a letter with a red credential printed in the upper right corner. I try to read it, but she moves it around in her fiddling hands. A natural habit of hers when she's nervous about something.

"There's a school I've been looking at." She can't be seriously saying this right now?

"A school, mother? But I clearly stated that I would be the only one to worry about that on my own accord." Her eyes are becoming troubled, but she takes in a small breath, calming herself down.

"This is a great school that your father had in mind for you." Her voice almost cracks at the end of her words. Anything dealing with dad is a tough subject for her, but it isn't for me. "I wasn't sure about it at first, but I think you're ready. Your grades are so remarkable, your english is amazingly fluent, and-"