Chapter 7

Mary said simply, "I heard." She didn't look up from a corny joke about a scared chicken who was called a turkey. The joke was stupid and bad, and Mary deeply wanted to meet Kain's steady gaze, but she couldn't.

Kain stood up and carefully dog-eared his page, placed it squarely on the tabletop, and cleared his throat. He strode over to meet her, his hands clenched into tight fists. He moved his eyes to the back of his head, as if he were trying to remember something. He moved his lips as if talking. It truly was adorable, Mary thought.

All his movements were so carefully thought out, planned, and executed, Mary could have mistaken him for a confident A-Lister, if she didn't know better, rather than an overly-nervous background friend. "Yes, what you heard was true, miss," he addressed. It sounded too formal. The book must have been written about the sixteenth century.

Mary closed the book. The formality and awkwardness of the situation made Mary scared. This was one of the only times she had no words. Instead, she pursed her lips and nodded, hugging the small book to her chest.

Kain looked like he was remembering a speech, mouthing words and rolling his eyes back again. It was kind of cute-creepy. He finally spoke.

"Miss Mary Moore-Schultz, I have been waiting to speak with you for quite a while. I am pleased our interaction has finally come."

Something surged through Mary's veins, and it wasn't blood. He was so formal and so cute and so. . .without thinking of Julie's approval, Mary grasped Kain's wrist and kissed him.

She quickly pulled herself away and screeched like a banshee. What had she just done? She had just kissed a nerd that had legit three friends! Was she crazy? She needed help! An ambulance! Julie couldn't find out!

Mary said forcefully, "I swear, Kain Middleton-Jones if you speak of this to anyone I will find you and I will kill you. Got it?" He nodded quickly and seemed amazed.

Just then, the librarian, Mrs. Braxton, burst in. Mary quickly grabbed the joke book and clutched it to her chest.

What is going on here, children? I heard a scream! Is anybody hurt?" she said quickly, anxiously looking around the room.

"Um, no, Miss. I, um, read a really funny joke and I laugh-screamed. Sorry," Mary stuttered lamely. Mrs. Braxton looked down. Mary remembered she and Kain were still holding hands. She quickly pulled away and rushed out, an awkward smile on her face.

A sound that sounded like fire crackling echoed through the school. A nasal voice stuttered, "Miss M-Mary Moore-Schkulz p-please report to the front office. Thank y-you, have a great s-school day." Shkulz? Whatever happened to Schultz?

Mary walked calmly to the office, trying to keep her cool. She could hear the whispers and "ooo-ooohs," passing through the students who now worshiped her. She whipped her head around at a group of girls who were giggling at her, gave them a cold stare, and they stopped, eyes wide with fear.

"Good choice," she said stately, flipping her hair and holding up her head. She continued striding through the door. "You requested my presence."

The office helper, Andrea, a skinny, freckled girl with huge round glasses and squeaky voice said boringly, "Early dismissal. Get your things. Your mother has your bag."

Andrea pushed up her glasses and briefly looked up. She twiddled a pen in her fingers, chewing on a lock of her stringy yellow hair. Mary cleared her throat and said, "Not trying to be rude, here, Andrea, but dear God please fix your hair." Andrea looked up and rolled her eyes.

"I can't wait until the robots take over. Populars like yourself will be the first to go." she said seriously. Mary slowly backed into the hall where her mother stood.