0.7

V O L G A russia

V O L G A
russia

ATHENA

VOLGA WAS definitely one of the smallest towns that I had encountered. In the still early morning, there was hardly anybody in the streets. A few stray dogs walked along the river we passed but didn't pay much attention.

It was still cool, and for that I was thankful, because I was still sweating from the few kilometer walk I had endured so early in the morning. Sleep was still on my mind.

There wasn't much in the town; mostly just a few shops and local taverns. James and I didn't linger; we knew that Hydra was most likely looking for their winter solider and without anything else to wear, we were both targets. My Black Sun gear was on full display; something Russia didn't like very much.

We had problems in the past.

"This is illegal, here, right?" James asked as I attempted to hot wire a car in the back of a lot.

I didn't answer for a second, focusing only on the coppered wires that would start the car. My back was hurting from the rough interior of the car and my legs were stretched out. My gun was pushing into my hip.

"It is. But we need a ride." I said. After pressing the wires together the car rumbled to life and I smiled. "Help me up." I reached my hand out.

James grabbed mine and helped me get back onto my feet. I looked around the empty lot; only an old newspaper moving in the wind. I didn't want to wait to get seen.

"Get in." I nodded my head towards the Volkswagen. "We need to get going. Vienna is over twenty hours away. We'll stop when we get to Poland tonight."

And we didn't stop until we reached Poland; aside from the various gas stations to fill up the tank. I also picked us up a first aid kit that was desperately needed and different clothes; cheap and worn. I knew that Sun was probably tracking the company credit card; and that using it would signal to them where I was. But I couldn't stop to wait for them to find it. I wouldn't stop until I made it home.

We drove for almost fifteen hours and the sun had long since set when I pulled into the lot of an old motel.

The small town wasn't as small as the one in Russia; and there were more people passing by on the streets. In the lot we didn't have much of an audience.

"Okay, change. We can't go into the motel dressed in these clothes." I said, reaching into the back seat. I grabbed the bag and pulled out the sweatshirt and jeans that I got myself, and a near matching outfit for him.