Somewhere within

It feels like there's oceans
Between me and you once again

"This song is so good." She's lying in his bed holding an unlit cigarette between her fingers. "I used to listen to it all the time. A few years ago".

We hide our emotions
Under the surface and tryin' to pretend

He's been watching her for the past hour, it feels. Trying not to think and just feel and be here. What an exercise.

I want you
And I always will
I wish I was worth
But I know what you deserve

"Where's your guitar?" She looks around his bedroom, searching. Their clothes are everywhere, there are piles of books and scripts. No guitar to be played.

"Uh, it's outside. In the living room. The guys were playing last night for a while."

"While I slept?"

"Yeah, while you were out of this world. And they were loud too. I kind of wanted them to wake you up."

She laughs. "So mean!"

He laughs and watches and she looks at the door.

"Outside? Living room?"

"Yep."

"Not ready for thaaaat." She says in a whiny voice and pulls a pillow to her face.

"I know right? Glad at least we had those water bottles in here." He pulls her to himself and kisses her neck and chest.

The light touches of his lips are followed by his fingers in a pattern she knows so well.

"You do this. You own me in a way. I think about it. I'll never get over it, I gave up that lane of thought a while ago."

"Kris..." he breathes her name against her ribs and it sounds like a warning. Don't go there. We both know how it hurts.

"Maybe we can do this every five years?" She belly-laughs at her own words. "I mean, I got used to building on top of these feelings."

"They are not enough for you and you know it." He's not touching her anymore, and looks up at the ceiling. He's not upset, he just knows where it goes. He knows it very well.

The same song starts over. It's like it is on repeat.

I want you
Yeah I want you
And nothing comes close
To the way that I need you

"I'm going to propose." She reveals.

He's far from shocked. This isn't new.

"Yeah, someone told me. Heard you announcing on the radio or something?" He laughs but it's genuine. He's always kind. It's just... the irony.

"Yeah, that was stupid." She smiles and turns to her side, looking at his profile. She could stare at him for days. Heck, in the past she has.

"Congratulations. I'm sure you'll make it memorable." He takes the mess of a cigarette from between her fingers and reaches for a lighter on the nightstand.

"I'll try... not sure what I'll do but the statement sure put expectations up to the sky... and hey, who'd say I'd get married first?"

He lights up the cig squinting at her.

"Huh, we never know. I was the one to propose first, remember?"

"Ouch, that's so cynical!" She accuses, feigning hurt. She thinks of his past fiancé.

"I'm talking about us." He clears it up, between drags.

"Oh. Yeah." Awkward.

She breathes in deeply, the smoke taking her someplace else, into the past. She then sits up, looking around to distinguish her clothes from his around the room.