VI.

THE LIGHT OF THE NEW SUN PEERED THROUGH THE LIGHT BLUE CURTAINS.

Zamile, a bit more tired than usual, groaned as the sun's rays hit her shut eyelids. Shifting under her all-too-comfortable covers, she finally pulled herself out of bed and stretched, reaching her slender fingers as far up in the air as they would go. Once she felt her muscles relax, she padded over to her bathroom, starting her routine of showering, brushing her teeth, and dressing. Zamile was only in the second part of her morning ritual when she heard a sizzling noise coming from outside of her room. 

With her toothbrush hanging out of her mouth and her hair tossed into a messy ponytail, she carefully made her way to her door, putting her ear against it. She heard the same sound again, and without a hint of fear, swung the door wide open. 

"Took you long enough" a deep voice rumbled, a tone of playfulness to it. 

Zamile squinted her still tired eyes at the figure by the stove, leaning her head forward. "Erik?"

The brown-eyed man looked over to her and nodded, returning his attention to the kitchen counter where he was setting out two plates. "Dante went out, I decided to hang around for a while."

Zamile's eyebrows shot up, and she made a mental note to herself to sweep the apartment later on. She didn't dislike Erik, but she sure as hell did not trust him. Rushing back to spit out her toothpaste and discard her toothbrush, she came back to find him right where he was. "I thought you would'a left already" she stated, seating herself at the kitchen island and treating herself to the coffee machine. 

Erik shrugged. "Yeah I thought about it. Then I wanted breakfast, so I decided to crack some of your eggs."

Zamile inhaled sharply, which caused the coffee she was drinking to go down the wrong tube. Her coughing fit lasted a good couple of seconds before she was able to calm herself down. Erik looked back at her with a concerned side-eye. "You good?"

She nodded with a barely-noticeable smile, hiding her face behind the rim of her cup as she took another sip. "Got anything for me today, boss" she diverted, calling him by a teasing name. 

He dished out the steaming scrambled eggs, pushing one towards her as she thanked him with a silent smile. "Maybe. Meeting a potential client today, he can help me get what I want."

Zamile set her cup down as he sat in the chair next to her, analyzing his side profile. "What is it that you want?"

He glanced over to her, and she barely missed him looking her up and down quickly. His shoulders shrugged as he took a sip of his coffee. "I want to achieve my goals. Help other people in a way that no one else can."