Chapter 6- Away

Liam walked home later that day, giving everyone the finger if they made a comment about his eye. “Fuck off!” He yelled, laughing. He unlocked the door to his house and threw his bag on the floor. Thankfully, he finished all his homework. He flopped down on the couch. “Mom?!” He yelled, peeking his head over the back of the couch.

“Yes Li?” Her voice was smothered with fake happiness as she walked into the living room. Her cheek was red, along with her eyes. “Mom, what’s the matter?” Liam asked, sitting up.

“Liam…” Mrs. Payne sat beside her brother, resting a hand on his leg. “Liam I’m sorry, but we have to.”

“Have to what mom?” Liam whispered, biting his lip. “Did dad come back again?”

Mrs. Payne nodded, standing up. “We’re moving Liam. I can’t handle seeing you in danger. He already hurt you, and that was just a warning. There are some boxes in your room. Pack as much as you can.”

“Mom!” Liam yelled, standing up. “We can’t let dad push us around anymore! We’ve moved twice already, because you’re too much of a coward to stand up to him!” Liam grumbled. “I finally fit in somewhere mom, we can’t move.” He turned away, biting his lip to stop the tears from flowing.

“Liam I know it’s hard. But we have to, this is the first he’s hurt you, and I don’t want it to happen again. I found an apartment 3 hours from here.” Liam’s mom paused, running her hands through her hair. “Go on to Zayn, but don’t be too long. We’re leaving today.”

Liam’s lower lip trembled. “Fine. Ruin my whole fucking life! See if I give a shit anymore,” he whispered, running up the stairs to his room. He slammed the door behind him, looking around. His mom already packed most of his stuff. She was serious. We weaved around the boxes to his guitar. He picked it up slowly, wiping the tears from his eyes. He walked back and opened the door, walking silently down the steps and out the front door. He made his way to Zayn’s house, every step feeling robotic. Finally he found himself at Zayn’s doorstep, ringing the doorbell.

“Liam! Whatcha doin’ here?” Zayn said happily as he opened the door. “Wanna come in?”

Liam shook his head, refusing to look at Zayn. “Here,” He whispered, handing Zayn the guitar. “I…I want you to have it.” He slowly looked up, meeting Zayn’s eyes.

“Liam whats going on?” Zayn asked in a small voice. “Liam were you crying?”

Liam said nothing, just pushed the guitar into Zayn’s hand. “I have to go now,” He whispered, letting out a breathe. “Don’t bother waiting for me at school. Or coming by my house okay?” He turned, walking down the steps.

“Li?”

Liam turned slowly, blinking. “I have to leave,” He said in a quietly. “I love you Zee, kay?”

Zayn frowned, setting the guitar down. “What do you mean, ‘leave’?” He walked down the steps to Liam. “I mean, leave. This town,” Liam stated bluntly. This was getting harder by the second. “My mom’s afraid. Of my dad. We have to move,” His voice cracked at the end and he turned his back to Zayn. “We’re leaving today,” Zayn grabbed Liam’s arm.

“So you thought you would just waltz over here say ‘here have this god damn guitar’ and just leave?!” he asked, dumbfounded.

Liam’s gaze moved to his feet, sniffling. “But if  say goodbye to you, that’s saying I’ll never see you again.”

“Then don’t say goodbye,” Zayn said, shaking Liam a bit. “I’ll see you later.” Liam looked up at Zayn, surprised at his cheerfulness. However, he was met with a forced smile and tears rolling down cheeks. “I’ll see you later,” Liam whimpered, burying his head in Zayn’s shoulder. “I promise.” He backed away slowly, rubbing his eyes. “God this is so ha-“ Zayn’s lips met his briefly, cutting him off. “See you later Li,” Zayn said softly, smiling sadly. “I’ll see you soon.” Liam smiled back, nodding. “Later alligator,” He mumbled, before turning and walked down the street. Away from Zayn.